Pipe insulation - Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to the forum so apologies for any daft questions. Was clearing out my undercroft the other day and came across what looks like some old pipe insulation. Photos attached, brown in colour, there are bits of it all over the place so must break up easily. Don't know how long it's been there but the house was built in late 1950s. I wondered if this could be some form of asbestos, e.g. brown (amosite?) From the (very little) I know this seems unlikely in a residential property but wanted to see if anyone could help. I only seem to be able to post two images, perhaps as they're large files, but have some more if helpful. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20200525_103955.jpg
IMG_20200525_103022.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks more like decayed foam lagging to me

Thanks for the quick reply Nige F. It also looked a bit like foam to my untrained eye, but I didn't know it could decay like that.

Difficult to confirm but looks more like dried out foam. The old asbestos pipe lagging normally resembles ‘plaster of Paris’ I think.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. There are more pics here if it helps.

Most of the images I found on the web did look like some form of plaster, but I also found this and another image which looked a bit more like what I have. That said, they still look a lot more dense and fibrous and less foam like.

Any more views welcome!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back