Pipe located whilst looking for original electrical cable supplying garage from house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this 19mm outer diameter pipe and I don't know whether it would be conduit for electrical cable, a water pipe or a gas pipe. The property was built in the late 50s (UK) and it's magnetic.
dkeLY9f.jpg

It's a mystery what it is and I need to know. The mains stopcock in the street goes the opposite way from the house and I don't know where the gas pipe enters the house from.

It runs parallel to the clay? rainwater pipe for the garage guttering that needs replacing. I thought it was 15mm until I tried placing a 15mm pipe cutter around it and it wouldn't fit, then decided to use callipers to check. It was supported with concrete underneath.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't think it is conduit but a simple voltage detector https://www.google.com/search?q=vol...wEYrwHCAg4QLhiABBjHARivARiOBQ&sclient=gws-wiz held against it would tell you. Hold the top of a screwdriver handle to your ear then place the end of the blade on it and ask someone to run a cold tap in the house. If you don't hear a noise of rushing water then it is not the water feed to your house, which leaves you with gas which I would not have a clue how to test

Last edited:
Looks more like a water pipe than anything else

To supply either the house or a garden (or garage) tap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

To clarify, the garage had a utility room which used to house a washing machine. I have already located the hot and cold feed that went from the house to the garage and capped that off.

This is an extra pipe. The rain water pipe is going down away from the garage (back of the house).

The mains water supply is controlled from the front of the house. If it's electrical conduit, I am not worried about opening it up. I'm concerned it might be the gas supply, as I don't know where that comes from or where the shut off would be away from the house.

I wasn't too concerned if it was a water pipe as I would turn the water supply off from the stopcock inside the house and if it still leaked, I'd shut off the water supply from the street. I thought I could use regular fittings to cap it off, but now I know it's abnormal size or what I would even use to cap off 19mm pipe (knowing it's not lead or copper but not knowing which magnetic metal it is).

It looks to me just like a waterpipe.

I expect it will be nominal half inch

(This is almost the internal diameter). From memory the external diameter is about 3/4"

I forget the usual length of pieces. They were made to fit on a builders van. Maybe ten foot? The ends are threaded and there is a screwed coupler to join them, about one inch O.D. or a screwed female elbow to change direction (leaks are common at the elbow due to cavitation corrosion).

The first and last lengths in a run are usually shorter as they were cut to fit.

Nominal depth 750mm (2 foot six) but frequently less. 18 inches is common.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming, so what fittings can I use to cap it off if I don't have access to the screwed coupler? I want to be prepared too in case I need to join it back up.

You can buy screw-on caps, but if you are not used to this work, look for a wrinkly old plumber.

I inherited a set of tools for clamping, gripping, threading and cutting steel pipes, but they are not common now.

I redid the copper piping in the house a few years ago with solder and have used compression fittings on copper pipe. It's the pipe I am not sure about. Could you please share a link to the type of screw on cap you are thinking of?

It will only go on a pipe which has already been threaded at the end

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It might, but I still think you would do better to find a wrinkly plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back