Pipe route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to take hot & cold supplies to an en-suite in an extension. The kitchen is the closest point to intercept supplies (also rising main supply if req.). I need to know if the supply's must come in under the floor or is it possible to route pipe's from the loft space in the original build over to the new build or will this cause air to trap in the pipe? Also, what bore of supply should I use (15mm or 22mm). A standard mixer shower is to be used. I'm not a plumber but want to give it a go as I am handy with most things. Just like to know from people in the know before moving on. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
My boiler is a Potterton pumped heating system (not combi). The hot water is stored in a traditional copper boiler tank.

Geo-B said:
I have to take hot & cold supplies to an en-suite in an extension. The kitchen is the closest point to intercept supplies (also rising main supply if req.). I need to know if the supply's must come in under the floor or is it possible to route pipe's from the loft space in the original build over to the new build or will this cause air to trap in the pipe? Also, what bore of supply should I use (15mm or 22mm). A standard mixer shower is to be used. I'm not a plumber but want to give it a go as I am handy with most things. Just like to know from people in the know before moving on. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Is this such a difficult query for a plumber? I take it the answer is very obvious & does not merit a reply or just nobody knows. I would guess that a pressurised system (Combi) would allow overhead attic pipe connection but my vented system would fill with pipes with air & thus must be piped below the floor. A quick response would be appreciated as I would like to get moving on this. Distance to the En-suite is approx. 4.5 metres from the kitchen supplies.

Sponsored Links
Re your shower.
The problem I can see here, is that your hot water will be gravity fed, while the cold, is fed from the main. This could be difficult to mix succesfully, and even lead to a situation where the cold feed will back up into the hot water cylinder via the mixer.

My prefered method would be to draw the cold supply for the shower from the header tank, and introduce a twin impeller booster pump. Then again, I like my showers, and the booster pump makes a world of difference.

Re Taps.
I wouldn't worry too much about air locks in these supply pipes. Once fitted, leaving them wide open for a while should sort that out. I would urge you to take the hot water feed from as close to the cylinder as is practical. This not only reduces the time it takes for hot water to appear at the taps, it also reduces the pressure loss.

If anything I've said is missleading, I'm sure one of the plumbers will let you know. They can be quite outspoken on here.

what OUTSPOKEN we are the nicest people you would ever care to meet
btw sounds good to me as long as you get the min head above the pump if you dont expensive mistake

TexMex said:
Re your shower.
The problem I can see here, is that your hot water will be gravity fed, while the cold, is fed from the main. This could be difficult to mix succesfully, and even lead to a situation where the cold feed will back up into the hot water cylinder via the mixer.

My prefered method would be to draw the cold supply for the shower from the header tank, and introduce a twin impeller booster pump. Then again, I like my showers, and the booster pump makes a world of difference.

Re Taps.
I wouldn't worry too much about air locks in these supply pipes. Once fitted, leaving them wide open for a while should sort that out. I would urge you to take the hot water feed from as close to the cylinder as is practical. This not only reduces the time it takes for hot water to appear at the taps, it also reduces the pressure loss.

If anything I've said is missleading, I'm sure one of the plumbers will let you know. They can be quite outspoken on here.

Thanks for the reply TexMex. Do you think it would be advisable to fit a second cold water storage tank in the new loft space? Supply this with cold water from the main & distribute to the shower etc. As for the hot water the kitchen sink supply is closer to the en-suite than the boiler. Would tapping into this be ok or must it come directly from the cyliner & what bore of pipe. The pressure of the hot is not that great anyway so as you suggest a pump would help. Under the floor is the preffered route then? Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers.

a second storage tank is a good idea if you are using a pump
15mm pipe is ok
if you dont take the supply from the cylinder you will soon know if a hot tap is in use elsewhere :D

Good point Kevplumb. The tank it is then. Thanks for clearing that little lot up. Now I can get on with it. Thanks for all replies.

And the hot should be 22mm, insulated all the wayfrom its cylinder connection if it's far. Plastic may be handy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back