Pipe runs Copper or MDPE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just had the shell of the extension done, and before the screed etc is completed i want to run pipes for up to five radiators, the feed for these is easily accessible, my question is would you run 22mm copper or 22mm MDPE for this.
The copper would of course be protected in Denso tape under the screed or the MDPE would be enclosed in to 25mm black plastic.

I can appreciate that the copper runs would have soldered joints, where as the MDPE would not, but do you have any thoughts as to what is best? as im not sure.

Thanks Ian

Sponsored Links
If you are running plastic pipe under concrete, then there will more than likely be joints. I'm not a great fan of anything under concrete that has joints, whether it be plastic or copper, but its mainly about protecting whichever pipe you decide on as best you can. I've run it inside the next size up of pipe, both plastic and copper, and taped up the joints after pressure testing. Read and research , lots of differing opinions on here :)

You cant use mdpe for heating you need pex or multilayer in flexible conduit.

lots of differing opinions on here :)[/quote]

Hi thanks for that, that's why i asked as have been researching on the web and can't find anything to suggest one is better than the other, if one person says copper the next will say plastic, was hoping that maybe copper was old school and these days plastic is best?

Also would you run them as a ring Flow and Return, or like a manifold and take all five branches from one point, hope that makes sense?

Ian

Sponsored Links
if the pipe is ducted and replaceable, pex and hep for me :) just plumb it as a nornal flow and return

Ok im going to use Hep, and cover with conduit which is not a problem, i have the layout sorted now.

The Hep site recommends you put any connectors in an accessible box, so the 90deg bends that i use to go from 22mm Hep to 15mm copper for the upstands will need some sort of housing, i can't find any on the web, can anyone recommend something please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back