Pipe runs within Chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 storey Edwardian house, and the chimneys at the back of the house have long since been decommisioned.
I want to install a better Central Heating system and use a more efficient and direct route for the pipe runs to/from header tank, water tank etc. As these components are in line on each floor (boiler - hot water tank - water tank) and are directly next to an unused chimney, I want to use the chimney for the pipe runs. I intend to use plastic pipe with lagging.
Are there any building regulations advising against this approach, or can anyone see a reason why I should not do it this way ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.......

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
only that somebody might open the fireplace up and start using it for a bit (and it will only be for a bit :LOL:

Good point, use copper, that'll last "a bit" longer !!

Sponsored Links
can you safely get up the chimney to install the pipework ? If there are fire hearths in the first and second floor rooms the chimney breast is unlikely to be a simple hollow box shape.

I would have thought it safer to put up a stud wall at the side of the chimney breast and run the pipes through that ?

Yeah, I suppose someone could sneak in my house while i'm down the pub, rip away the plasterboard, build a fireplace surround, and hearth and have a blazing log fire going before i could say "another pint of Guinness please".
If I sell the house and someone decides to install a fire and does so after seeing half a dozen or so lagged pipes in the way, they probably shouldnt be allowed out unsupervised anyway. Then again it's not my problem.... Or is it ? That's the whole point of my question, are there any building regs that prohibit installation of water pipes in an unused chimney ?

And why is it safer to put up a stud wall ??

as has been mentioned, its doubtfull if the chimney is one complete run, if it was how would the smoke get out from the lower floor? it would come out in the one above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back