Pipe sizing calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved into a old house and wanted to just put pen to paper to see if the pipe sizes in the house satisfy the gas appliances adequately, does anyone have the formulas to work this out?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, think of a number, double it, add 5 then subtract your age (10). This is called dix formula.

I thought you were converting to oil, as you couldn't find any small herding dogs to do your work for free?

Sponsored Links
lol... just stick to topic please rather than making jokes

Why don't you purchase the relevant british standard and read up on it like the rest of us?

I'm not a professional... so dont want the corgi books etc, just wanted to check if my appliances are adequately supplied because its a old house

There's no harm in letting the OP try the calculations!

(Diameter of pipe in mm x Total pipe run in mm) + (λ value of any couplings) + (λ x 5 x no. of elbows) (assuming end feed rather than compression, if there are pulled bends rather than soldered fittings then factor is x 1.9) = total flow resistance (TFR) of the pipe run (Δβ).

If you contact your supplier and ask them for the 'local supply pressure' (usually know as LSP) in mm/Hg this will give you the working head (assuming that the regulator fitted at your meter is providing the necessary boost).

Once you've got this figure you can work out the pressure drop to the appliance by subtracting the the result of your flow resistance calculation (LSP-Δβ).

If you contact the appliance manufacturer (or check the installer's manual) and ask them for the gas consumption rate (GCR) - usually in watts/min. The supplier should also be able to provide the calorific value of the supply to your property - once you have this then you can work out the calorific value of the gas needed to run the appliance at it's optimal rate (if it's a combi then you'll need to take into account the modulation rate - but assume a factor of 1.62 usually does the trick). As long as the ∑ value from the LSP/TFR calculation is at least 1.3 then the rate to the appliance will be satisfactory.

For help with multiple appliances post back.

lol... just stick to topic please rather than making jokes
It wasn't a joke. You told us you weren't having gas any more, you were having oil, so gas pipe sizing won't help you. 10mm will do for most domestic oil supply pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back