Pipe slice prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m doing some research in to tool prices as considering starting my own tool brand and wondered what people think is reasonable price to lure them away from the main brands. So let’s say a 15mm slice and a 22mm slice, decent quality like a kopex, so not the crap that can be got on eBay.
£10 for a 15mm? £12 for a 22mm ?
What price in a shop would you think that’s worth buying

Sponsored Links
Have you considered googling what price your competition sell them at? FFX are charging for OX-tools about what you charge

Reactions: CBW
Have you considered googling what price your competition sell them at? FFX are charging for OX-tools about what you charge
Yes I’ve googled lots and there is such a big range. I don’t currently charge anything as I haven’t had them made yet.
I just looked on FFX and 15mm is £11.75 and then £4.49 delivery.
I don’t know if they have shops.

So you're having a shop too? FFX have 2, and free delivery over £25. Toolstation and Screfix about the same price as yours, or a pair for less than 20, and nationwide stores too. I don't know if there's enough of a differentiator in it for me

Sponsored Links
So you're having a shop too? FFX have 2, and free delivery over £25. Toolstation and Screfix about the same price as yours, or a pair for less than 20, and nationwide stores too. I don't know if there's enough of a differentiator in it for me
That’s why I’m asking what price would it take to make people buy one in a shop, to see if it’s worthit
I won’t have a shop
Will just try supply smaller shops

Personally I would just pick them up when in screwfix or the like or order online, would never think of going into a shop just to buy a pipe slice, cant see your idea taking off

Shop-keepers and yourself are going to want reasonable profit margins, plus you'd have various expenses such as materials, storage, energy, distribution, product liability insurance. What would it cost you to actually make the tool?

Personally I would just pick them up when in screwfix or the like or order online, would never think of going into a shop just to buy a pipe slice, cant see your idea taking off
Thats why I’ve not said going on just to buy one. I asked what price would grab peoples attention if they saw them. For example. If i was in a plumbing shop and saw a slice for £8 I’d probably just get one

Shop-keepers and yourself are going to want reasonable profit margins, plus you'd have various expenses such as materials, storage, energy, distribution, product liability insurance. What would it cost you to actually make the tool?
Probably about £1 - £1:50 I can get the for, rebranded and packaged. Then have other shipping costs on top.
It wouldn’t just be slices. I would gradually try and build a brand.
It all has to start somewhere

Now if you had invented the slice and patented it .....................

Quality is more important than price for me. I'd rather pay a bit extra for a decent slice that's going to last than buy the cheapest thing going. If you can make a 28mm slice that actually works properly you may be on to something though - most of them track along the pipe rather than cutting it after a while

• Thanks
Quality is more important than price for me. I'd rather pay a bit extra for a decent slice that's going to last than buy the cheapest thing going. If you can make a 28mm slice that actually works properly you may be on to something though - most of them track along the pipe rather than cutting it after a while
agree, which is why I looked initially looked in to it. It’s easier to say this slice and that slice is a tenner but most are rubbish quality and I end up spending out for an expensive brand.
I also have never had a decent 28mm slice

I get Rothenberger ones from work for free, but they seem tight and a little hit and miss. Kopex on the other hand are a decent make and can be had for as little as £7ish in some instances from BES. I suppose what you may need to think is why are people going to buy them from you when they’ll likely collect one from their merchant as and when. Or do you plan to attempt to stock in a merchants?

The Range do one for about £5 which is supposed to be ok.

I get Rothenberger ones from work for free, but they seem tight and a little hit and miss. Kopex on the other hand are a decent make and can be had for as little as £7ish in some instances from BES. I suppose what you may need to think is why are people going to buy them from you when they’ll likely collect one from their merchant as and when. Or do you plan to attempt to stock in a merchants?

The Range do one for about £5 which is supposed to be ok.
Yeah I would attempt to start putting them (amongst some other tools) in merchants possibly at cost to get the brand known. It’s part of a bigger plan with bathroom furniture etc but getting a brand recognised is the main goal and I thought pipe slices would be good to start with but didn’t know you could get a kopex for £7.
They’re the best slice I’ve had over the years, Rothenberger one of the worst

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back