Pipe Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I posted recently about problems with a shower pump. One of the replies suggested that the hot water might be too hot for the pump. The water has been getting very hot lately so I tried turning down the immersion heater thermostat. The thermostat has never worked since then. The water gets lukewarm then the safety cutout on the thermostat trips out. That type of thermostat is not available here in Croatia so I am planning to fit a pipe thermostat on the outlet pipe, as close to the cylinder as possible. I did not know if the current rating of the pipe thermostats was high enough, as they are normally just switching a pump or motorised valve. I looked up the spec. of a commonly available pipe thermostat and it said> "Maximum current : 16 (4) A" Does this mean 16 amps or 4 amps?

Sponsored Links
why not just order the proper thermostat online and get it shipped to Croatia instead of faffing about with an Ad Hoc setup, do not by-pass the OH cut out on your immersion heater

Sticking your hand under the tap is not sufficient to determine if the water's too hot for the shower pump to handle...anything above 50 degrees can feel scalding hot but water is normally stored at 60 degrees.
Get the cylinder thermostat sorted first...they are notoriously unreliable and ven brand new the setting can be wildly out. Invest in a cheap thermocouple meter.

"Maximum current : 16 (4) A" Does this mean 16 amps or 4 amps?

16A restive load (eg heating element)
4A inductive load (eg motor)

Because water won't normally be circulating in the outlet pipe even close to the cylinder, what you suggest would be inaccurate, not to mention dangerous. As you have seen, immersion heaters come with a safety cutout that operates in the event of the thermostat failing in the 'on' position to prevent the water boiling. A pipe thermostat won't have that protection.

Water boiling in a hot water cylinder can be fatal, a news report about it can be found here.

Sponsored Links
@stem I still cant read about this case without crying, that poor child and her family and the suffering, because of negligence, I hear all the time "I wont mess with Gas" but they are happy to mess with electrics and plumbing without any knowledge or training, was on a job yesterday with a Colleague from on here, and we were chatting about idiots doing DIY and making buildings dangerous with knocking through load bearing walls and stuff, but it isnt gas so thats fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back