pipe work layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if there is a correct way to return water to the boiler? i.e. does the domestic hot water return go into the central heating return or the other way round?
The reason i ask is my house has the central heating completely on 15mm and the domestic hotwater on 22mm.
Would there be a right or wrong way?

Sponsored Links
It's a tee - make your choice :rolleyes:

Have you got 15mm all the way from/to the boiler?

does the domestic hot water return go into the central heating return or the other way round?
Which "goes into" which? Neither goes into either. The two pipes join into one pipe, which is the combined return pipe. It should be large enough to take the flows from both pipes, so normally 22mm.

I'd be worried about your CH circuit being no bigger than 15mm. How many rads do you have on it?

Okay
thanks for the replies, i'll try to be clearer (that'll be a first), 22 from the boiler to the pump 22 to the mid way valve 22 to 1st downstairs rad then 15 all way round up to upstairs then back round to the boiler, this then joins the 22 return from the tank.
7 rads in total.
So should the heating have priority into the boiler with the hotwater entering from the side.
Or hotwater into the boiler with heating entering from the side. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Priority is decided by the operation of the motorised valve. It doesn't make any difference which pipe connects to the side branch of the tee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back