Pipes in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I’m in is 1970’s built and I looks like the central heating system ground floor is run in the concrete of the floor. All floor coverings are up at the moment and I can’t decide if it’s something (yet another thing on the huge list) that I should sort out whilst I have the opportunity.

There are soldered fittings (I guess not ideal as these are potentials for leaks) and I can see that the hessian lagging used has perished away.

I guess cooper pipes buried in concrete is it ideal for lots of reason but I’m wondering what advice you guys have now I’ve found some of them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I bought a 1950s house two years ago. When the floor covering was removed, it was revealed the central heating pipes were in concrete in several locations. And a gas pipe. When they were removed all were badly corroded. There was a mild smell of gas, suspect it was leaking under the concrete. Either that or the lead gas pipes that were still in use elsewhere!

I repositioned all the rads for the new system and where necessary ran the pipework behind the new skirting. Nothing in the concrete.

Yeah ideally I don’t want the pipes back in the concrete but it looks like there little option here.

Some people swear by denso take, others gaffa and then hessian lagging and others conduit/wrapping in pipe. Difficult to know what is best.

Anyone got any advice on this please?

Thanks

Well i guess you have 3 options.

In the floor

Buried in a wall

Surface mounted

——

You dont want floor

You probably don’t want surface mounted...

Sponsored Links
I think buried in the floor is the only option to be honest. Not ideal but if protected correctly (how would you protect them) they will be fine unless a fitting lets go etc won't they?

You could always feed them throught a bigger pipe if you werent convinced. Denso tape.
Old fella i worked with would use carpet tape (!)

Personally... rightly or wrongly ... i’d feed them through some flexi pipe if it was a short run and i had some to hand. Failing that - denso tape.

You could always try to run the pipe in an easily accessible place - aso that if the worst was to happen you dont have to rip out kitchen units etc.

Are you tiling over it..? Laminate..?.

Also, these are all water pipes, yes..? No gas..?

The go right across the middle of the kitchen.
I have CH pipes with a Gas pipe on top.
It's going to have Karndean (or similar) fitted on top.

Gas pipe must have at least 25mm screed cover.

It must be protected either with:

A) factory sheathed pipe
B) pvc wrapping or bituminous painting (wrap with 50% overlap)
C) or can be tracpipe
D) copper in a pre formed duct

No compression joints or unions may be buried

Must be tightness tested before it’s buried/reburied

Gas safe register has offered further guidance in a technical bulletin. When i get chance i’ll look it up.

Bottom line. Don’t touch the gas mate - get someone in who’ll stick their name on a bit of paper to say it’s safe. Don’t just replace a bit of copper pipe and slap screed on top.

I've always covered the pipe in hessian lagging (but not the version you wrap around), then wrap 50mm pvc tape with a 50% overlap. Protection and plenty of pipe expansion allowance.

We have a house with concrete floors, the CH is run in the ceiling and drops down in the corner of the room, boxed in.

Same with water feed.

Ok, so a gas safe plumber has been round to assess the pipe work I wanted to run the plan past you guys for you input/opinion if that’s ok.

The plan is for him to remove the 22mm gas pipe that’s sat on top of the two central heating and was buried under the concrete floor. To rerun it from the gas meter to the boiler - it can go trough my joists in a fairly pain free direct route and we’ve spotted. Sadly it does mean that we’d lose the gas feed to the front room fire but with a wood burning stove going in it’s just going to have to be one of those things. At least it’ll be safe not having the gas under the concrete any more.

Then to change the two copper central heating pipes (which were buried in the concrete under the gas pipe) for plastic pipes, wrap with 9mm thick pipe insulation and then bury them back in the concrete.

What do you think to that as a rough plan?

His reasoning is that plastic for central heating is fine to burry and a thin layer of insulation (9mm) will stop some of the heat transfer in the floor etc.

Your thoughts and help would be great please. Thanks.

There’s no issue with gas pipes in concrete if it’s done correctly - so seems a shame to lose the feed to the fire...

But if you’re happy with the solution and you don’t mind losing the fire then happy days.

Agree with the method described above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back