Pipes through brick inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am adding a 110mm non-return valve for my soakaway and want to build an inspection chamber for it as it's supposed to be inspected periodically. I looked at plastic options but couldn't see what I needed. Pipes usually stop at inspection chambers but I want this one to pass through, with the valve in the middle. How should/can I 'seal' around the entry holes? I know concrete can damage pipes as it expands/contracts, but I also know a lot of people use concrete. Can I just put mortar around the pipe entries? The pipes are PVC.

btw. the reason for the non-return valve is because I have a rainwater harvesting tank and I don't want the dirty soakway water flowing back into my tank. I have a high water table so it's likely that the water level in the soakaway will exceed the height of the rainwater tank overflow.

Sponsored Links
I would dig under the pipe, fill with concrete then drop some plastic risers onto the concrete (trim the bottom one at each side to fit over the pipe). Probably a 450mm if it shallow.

I would dig under the pipe, fill with concrete then drop some plastic risers onto the concrete (trim the bottom one at each side to fit over the pipe). Probably a 450mm if it shallow.

The pipe isn't there yet so I don't need to dig under it. It's also possible to fill the chamber with pea shingle if the pipe needs support. I was also thinking of putting a water pipe and electrical cable through the chamber, but that would be a pain if it was covered in pea shingle.

Sponsored Links
I know concrete can damage pipes as it expands/contracts, but I also know a lot of people use concrete. Can I just put mortar around the pipe entries? The pipes are PVC.

Pipework need some wiggle room to allow for movement, when laying concrete or VC pipes, a short 'Rocker' pipe is used immediately outside the chamber, (then a full pipe), to provide 2 joints in quick succession to allow for this movement. With Plastic pipes, just put a coupling either side of the chamber, and make sure when installing, to insert the pipe to the stop then pull it back a few mm to allow the room for movement.

Then go with Ian's suggestion above, or used concrete sections if preferred.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back