pipes under boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good way of securing heating pipes on verticle runs, or is it best just to use some timber and clips. Also has anyone got some pics of best way to run flow and returns under boards to pick up rads.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
And as a general rule you should have the clips no further apart than 2m vertically and 1.5m horizontally for 15mm pipes. For 22mm pipes no further apart than 2.5m vertically and 2m horizontally. Obviously you will need noggins under the floor to support the pipe and clips and the more clips you use there will be less movement. There's nothing worse than banging under the floor when the pump is running due to unsupported pipes.

I wrap pipes with pipe felt where it sit on joists.
I fit clips on noggin.
This is important for main cold water and high pressure hot water to prevent water hammer.

Daniel.

Many thanks for the advice, I was thinking a noggin with clips. Have you got any pics of this done or diagrams of best way to route pipes for ease of installation.

Spacing of pipe clips is recommended 1.8 meters vertical runs and 1.2 meters on horizontal runs for 15mm
And 2.4 meters and 1.8 meters on 22mm

In terms of the best route for the pipes every property is different so you have to run them in the most practical way. Obviously the most direct routes are best as it means less pipe, a smaller volume of water to heat and less distance to pump. Make sure you run them in 22mm and only reduce to 15mm as you branch off to each radiator to ensure the best flow. If you're lucky enough to have suspended floors on all levels I prefer just one drop to each level. If you have a concrete floor you need to decide whether to chase pipes into the floor or run a drop to each radiator. When putting noggins inbetween joists do it so that the pipes are just below the floor board so you don't need to adjust height of pipes as you will no doubt need to cross joists at some point. This will require notching the joists. Run the notches in the centre of the floor board so you can screw the board back down without hitting the pipes. And be careful not to notch more than an eighth of the height of the joist. As someone else rightly mentioned if you run pipes together through a notch put some felt or similar material between the pipes or they will click/bang as they come in to contact with each other when pump is running. Good luck.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer. It a combi going and I'm going to fo the droppers in speedfit but the rest will be copper, I'm going to manifold from the 22mm circs to 10mm to rads, was going run 22mm as near as can along center of house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back