pipework for central heating - is this work OK?

Did he let you pet his horse? :LOL:
Hard to believe this is all new pipework.

Sponsored Links
Did he let you pet his horse? :LOL:
Hard to believe this is all new pipework.

It took a while for the horse comment - but eventually . . . . :)

The original pipework was about 40 plus years old- old iron pipework some of which was about 4", most was 3/4" pipe and an old 140,000 btu Potterton oil fired boiler with separate water pump. I imagine it resembled a boiler room on a sub.
New system is oil fired Worcester Bosch Greenstar Utility 32/50 with 27" immersion heater and 20 radiators.

As the house had to be completely re-wired, re-decorated and re-carpeted, it was supposed to be a golden opportunity to replace the old heating system while the house was already completely empty and gutted.

This company have been given a perfect opportunity to fit a new system without any concerns about minimising damage because of carpets or decorations or furniture etc.

As Old Buffer suggested - tomorrow I will try to get someone from HETAS to have a look as I will need an independent assessment to take this further and assume it would need to be HETAS for this company to take any notice.

Apologies to Old Buffer - he suggested asking for an assessment from a long standing member of Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers, not HETAS.

tomorrow I will try to get someone from HETAS to have a look as I will need an independent assessment to take this further and assume it would need to be HETAS for this company to take any notice.

HETAS for solid fuel heating.

OFTEC for oil heating.

That is if they are actually registered :?:

tomorrow I will try to get someone from HETAS to have a look as I will need an independent assessment to take this further and assume it would need to be HETAS for this company to take any notice.

HETAS for solid fuel heating.

OFTEC for oil heating.

That is if they are actually registered :?:

Thank you very much for that - saves embarrassment on my part with HETAS tomorrow morning !
Will contact OFTEC and hope the letterhead of this company is accurate.

Have just checked online - they are registered.

Sponsored Links
in all fairness, oftec will only look at the oil supply/storage and the installation of the boiler and that it complies with their requirements. they will not be interested in the heating pipework, rads or services.
it may well pay you to get a well established local firm in to prepair you a report on the work carried out.

Even as an amateur plumber, I can honestly say that my first attempts at plumbing when I was still at school looked miles better than this (and still work!).

I would be very upset to think of this kind of poor workmanship in my or my parents' house, even (especially?) if it were hidden away from view. I think I'd forever be lying awake at night waiting for something to give way.

You were right to be suspicious IMHO. Good luck in getting it sorted.

Being registered means didly squat apart from signing a name on a piece of paper to keep other pen pushers in work and keep the registration fees rolling in to the coffers.

in all fairness, oftec will only look at the oil supply/storage and the installation of the boiler and that it complies with their requirements. they will not be interested in the heating pipework, rads or services.
it may well pay you to get a well established local firm in to prepair you a report on the work carried out.

Many thanks for that.

I had been looking at the OFTEC website and could not find any section which covered rads and pipework as you say. The concern seems to focus on boiler and electrics and safety. I also looked at the local building regs. county council website and again it is more to do with safety but nothing to do with poor or unacceptable pipework.

There is a local company (who also quoted for this work) that is also CIPHE registered and the company I had hoped my parents would use.
Is it acceptable to provide a written report from a company the installers would regard as a competitor and who would this report be presented to?

Wow, absolute crap. 10mm is no probs when done properly, I'd be asking some questions about this install. Rather see 10mm hep20 than that mess. Don't pay and weigh in the scrap. I feel guilty about a rippled bend in a roofspace, hence the spidge bag.

Have you had the Governor of the firm come and inspect the quality of his firms work. The actual installer may have a gripe with him, his employer and could not care a less what he is doing, taking it out on your install.

You may find he condemns it straight away and puts it right, without any argument, let's hope it goes that way, ever the optimist.

You may find he condemns it straight away and puts it right, without any argument, let's hope it goes that way, ever the optimist.[/quote]

OP, that is very good advice. Also, FYI, if iwas gas, Gas safe wouldn't be interested. They only cover safety aspects.

Have you had the Governor of the firm come and inspect the quality of his firms work. The actual installer may have a gripe with him, his employer and could not care a less what he is doing, taking it out on your install.

You may find he condemns it straight away and puts it right, without any argument, let's hope it goes that way, ever the optimist.

Yes - he has already been out to rectify a couple of problems. First time the radiators were left filled and leaking - the second time the radiators were supposed to have drained down but the header tank was full of water so they flooded one room - luckily it was tiled flooring. When he was notified of the pipe denting and bending problem he assured my parents it would be sorted and he also blamed a faulty spring pipe bender for causing the problem, but he saw no reason to worry about the dents and said they were minor. Hence my posting the pictures because quite honestly until I was on hands and knees photographing I hadn't realised how bad and widespread it is. When he was asked about the pipes going into the wall and the way some of them come out of the wall - he said that was perfectly normal and the way they always did it.
As he was so adamant, I doubted my own opinion and thought of putting this whole thing with pictures on this site for second opinions.

If it wasn't the boss doing the job, as above get him onsite first thing in the morning.

Whatever you do you can't/shouldn't allow it to stay.

Get a consultant engineer to write a report, should only cost a £100-200.00 ish.

There is a local company (who also quoted for this work) that is also CIPHE registered and the company I had hoped my parents would use.
Is it acceptable to provide a written report from a company the installers would regard as a competitor and who would this report be presented to?

The CIPHE is registered as a charity an states its aims as to uphold the highest standards in the industry.

You use the word "also" above but dont say anywhere that the chosen contractor was a member.

In my view it would be unreasonable to ask a competitor to make a report. Perticularly in a recession, plumbing firms can be particularly nasty towards others and it would not be objective.

The CIPHE primarily ensure their members maintain high standards and they have a network of inspectors across the country. I expect that they will also visit and report on non members work but you would have to check with them and it would be chargeable.

The reality is that less than 10% of gas registered people are members. I used to be a member but ceased about three years ago for reasons that are better only explained to a member.

As suggested above the correct procedure would be to ask the principal of the firm to visit to see the quality of their work and for you to see how they react.

Only then can you decide how to deal with the situation!

Tony

Tony, the OP posted 19 minuyes before your last post:

Yes - he has already been out to rectify a couple of problems. First time the radiators were left filled and leaking - the second time the radiators were supposed to have drained down but the header tank was full of water so they flooded one room - luckily it was tiled flooring. When he was notified of the pipe denting .......

Didn't you read this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back