pipework for central heating - is this work OK?

There is a local company (who also quoted for this work) that is also CIPHE registered and the company I had hoped my parents would use.
Is it acceptable to provide a written report from a company the installers would regard as a competitor and who would this report be presented to?

The CIPHE is registered as a charity an states its aims as to uphold the highest standards in the industry.

You use the word "also" above but dont say anywhere that the chosen contractor was a member.

MY REPLY - don't know what I did to mess the reply up ! "Sorry - my phrasing was poor. The company who have done the work are CORGI, OFTEC, HETAS and NICEIC members but they are not CIPHE registered."

Tony

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, I also have to live a normal life as well as posting a few replies. In this case it was a long time before I completed my posting because I was doing other things as well.

However, nothing said previously makes me want to change anything that I said.

The boss apparently says that the dented pipes will be replaced. So lets wait and see what they do. ( And see if pigs fly! )

If the boss had anything to do with the install he would be thrown off the job.

I would certainly get a consultant in to oversee the work at the very least.

The OP needs back up not bullshit.

Sponsored Links
abortion of pipework to be fair.

does make you think whats been done where you cant see.

a dodgy spring bender is noe excuse it should be perfect - i doubt you are payting peanuts for the installation you have quoted earlier.

It's going to be difficult for you to make a boss of some firm who thinks this standard of workmanship is ok, to persuade him otherwise and for him then to rectify and make a good job of it.
Stopping any further payments on account will probably escalate the problem further, but I can't see any other way at the moment, until you back up your concern with independent survey/report.

Problem being your folks need to get back in and return to normality.
It does look quite a large job, perhaps a member of the family or friend with building knowledge could help supervise the ongoing work. It looks like there is quite a lot of work still to be done. Good decorators can achieve a very high finish, but from the photo's of what the heating installer is leaving behind, you are asking quite a lot from them. Those chases in the walls for example, look more a job for a plasterer to sort out.
All the 'making good' by others trades, will be expensive to do. How you can make a good finish to the walls in that example where the radiator pipes come out the wall, is not going to be easy.

Small comfort I know, but all on this forum have agreed with you regarding the state of workmanship, so at least armed with the fact that your original opinions were right. Still difficult to take on the adamant Governor though. :mad: Good luck. :)

I know that most of you have majored on the slightly dented bends in the photographed parts.

Mostly thats unlikely to present a very significant impediment to the operation in itself even if its a manifest demonstration of the shoddy workmanship that they produce.

What would concern me more is a more basic design question of whether 10mm pipework is going to be adequate. Particularly as the OP has said the rads are mostly large.

Then there is the new boiler which has been installed. We have not seen any pictures of that yet.

A new installation is a composite of design, equipment and installation. Get any one of those wrong and problems arise.

It needs a competent person to check all aspects, most consultants know how to charge and seem to start at about £600 for just thinking about it.

in a situation like this the OP holds all the cards. obviously the work has not been payed for in full and payment should be with held until a satisfactury outcome has been agreed. first and foremost, having engaged this particular firm in the first place, they will need to be given the chance to rectify all faults on the system to the customers satisfaction. failing that, as Doitall has already said a consultant engineer would probably be best to come round and make an assessment as to what needs doing to what the OP already has. this report can then be used as reference to gain estimates for remedial works. then you will have the unenviable task of negotiations with the original installers.

I don't think the installers should be given a second chance , if this is the quality of workmanship how can they be expected to improve on it? any pipework hidden will be met with the attitude 'can't see it so it don't matter' , seeing this shoddy workmanship boils my blood , too many out there who have no clue & couldn't give a rats arse , the good guys who do a good job are often accused of being 'rip offs' due to the extra time & better quality materials used than these clowns the OP is dealing with.

Most of that pipework looks to be existing , or maybe these clowns are using scrap pulled off another job. :confused:..............whatever the case maybe it's a pile of ****.

I don't think the installers should be given a second chance...
Unfortunately, that means the customer has to accept the financial loss and pay a second time to get the work done. Much as I agree with the sentiment, it is an expensive one.

PipG";p="2073487 said:
. ***When he was asked about the pipes going into the wall and the way some of them come out of the wall - he said that was perfectly normal and the way they always did it.***
As he was so adamant, I doubted my own opinion and thought of putting this whole thing with pictures on this site for second opinions.
That`s the way it`s done ---ON NEW BUILD . In a large old empty house any half decent plumber would be able to use 15mm pipe to the rads and hide that and most of the other larger sizes under the floors . Some of us could do it in iron like the original ;)

I know that most of you have majored on the slightly dented bends in the photographed parts.

Mostly thats unlikely to present a very significant impediment to the operation in itself even if its a manifest demonstration of the shoddy workmanship that they produce.

What would concern me more is a more basic design question of whether 10mm pipework is going to be adequate. Particularly as the OP has said the rads are mostly large.

Then there is the new boiler which has been installed. We have not seen any pictures of that yet.

A new installation is a composite of design, equipment and installation. Get any one of those wrong and problems arise.

It needs a competent person to check all aspects, most consultants know how to charge and seem to start at about £600 for just thinking about it.

I have now spoken with an independent assessor and forwarded photos and will hear back tomorrow.
The plumbing company sent out a man to rectify the obvious problems and I have taken photos of the remedial work.
Only the severely strangled pipes to the radiator have been replaced with short lengths joined further up towards the wall. The pipes which were dented and crinkled which ran along the wall and around the edge, up the wall and into other rooms, have just been covered with a sort of silver padded gaffa tape - no remedial work done.
All in all the offending work has been covered with silver tape.
I have taken photos after this remedial visit and have also included photos of boiler, immersion and tiger loop.
I have greatly appreciated all the helpful comments from eveybody - fantastic -and will certainly let you know what happens with the independent assessor when I hear.
P.S. I forgot to mention that all the upstairs rad pipes appear to be 15mm while the downstairs rad pipes are 10mm

The copper pipes should be sleeved where they pass through the wall, that is important.

Don't be frightened to take the tape off if the assessor want to see.

The copper pipes should be sleeved where they pass through the wall, that is important.

Don't be frightened to take the tape off if the assessor want to see.

Many thanks for that - none of the pipes which go through the wall have sleeves. It is just bare pipe going through a hole in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back