piping question for raising radiator

S

snadge

she wants a 50mm wide raised radiator in kitchen, current one there is wider and uses copper piping...
ive never done this before but should I continue use of copper pipe or can you change it to plastic or is this a no-no in this situation

I was thinking "plastic" as i think ive heard its better in all aspects of piping but I dunno, i thought it would be easier to position and install then having to put lots of elbows in copper

any advice about this would be great

thank you

Sponsored Links
You can use plastic if you want but will like very poo.. Plastic fittings only under the floor in my book

Invest in a second hand or borrow a pipe bender, makes the job so much easier and neater looking, no need to faff with elbows that way

Sponsored Links
Invest in a second hand or borrow a pipe bender, makes the job so much easier and neater looking, no need to faff with elbows that way

If your not that up on plumbing mate, forget the bender etc, take plastic to under the rad valve, insert then plastic elbow with a pice of copper up to the rad.

Gareth

OK thanks., in typical women style she is changing her mind and now wants to keep the ones we have...

so now i just need to know how to take them off for boarding - do you just turn off water and heating and remove?

need to drain the heating mate. There should be a drain valve terminating outside at low level. If its a combi boiler make sure the filling loop is off (it will be) and open the drain (with the boiler off) and watch pressure gauge go to zero. if it is a system boiler with cylinder the heating will be fed from a header tank in the loft so turn the water off to the tank and open drain (again boiler off) and when the pressure coming out the drain valve isnt strong then you can assume its emptied. hope this is of some use.

need to drain the heating mate. There should be a drain valve terminating outside at low level. If its a combi boiler make sure the filling loop is off (it will be) and open the drain (with the boiler off) and watch pressure gauge go to zero. if it is a system boiler with cylinder the heating will be fed from a header tank in the loft so turn the water off to the tank and open drain (again boiler off) and when the pressure coming out the drain valve isnt strong then you can assume its emptied. hope this is of some use.

cant find drain valve and unsure about the filing loop (see pic) there is a tap at bottom that stops the feed of water but does that to all taps too so i thought that would be main water tap into property
pressure gauge is already zero as have problem with it, air in two radiators upstairs too

34oc77t.jpg

to drain mate there should be a drainoff either on the return on the rad pipe work or a lock shield drain off valve on the rad itself

to drain mate there should be a drainoff either on the return on the rad pipe work or a lock shield drain off valve on the rad itself

think im gunna have to get an expert in...thats next months pay gone...
someone on here has already offered to drain the system and add some cleaning stuff in with a device added to pipes to clean it - £180, might have to take him up when we get some money , infact might be sooner cos i need this rad off the wall and i dunno how to drain this system...theres NOTHING around the boiler that indicates to me its used to drain out - there are a load of pipes....dunno how or why theres so many
can you see anything on the photo?

thanks for your time and patience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back