PIR floodlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know offhand if this beastie http://www.screwfix.com/p/black-pir...lm/38243#product_additional_details_container uses a relay for the ouptut from the PIR or something nasty (like an SCR)- reasone for question, I have an LED flood on which the PIR bit has died (looks like a seal was omitted on manufacture), £9.50 for a standalone PIR is OK, £8.50 for a PIR with a free floodlight (that I can use as a work light) is even better :)

And yes I could ask at the branch but odds are I won't get an answer......

Ta

Sponsored Links
And thank you're lucky stars you've been let off the hook; you should be looking for an LED PIR floodlight - yes it'll cost more initially, but save costs in the long run.

Sponsored Links
My wife got a Aldi flood light, the thing was not well sealed, but I noticed the problem in time, and drilling a small hole was good enough, I got a replacement for the 120W tube, a 5W LED. Then noted whole thing on sale in Lidi with LED in first place, plus they sold the stand alone PIR's all very cheap. The problem with both Aldi and Lidi is you need to wait for them to be on offer, and if they go wrong all you get is money back, there is never a replacement offer. Except with the PC's. In real terms any other outlet selling the units cheap will also not likely have a replacement should it go wrong.

The Aldi one was a mechanical relay.

looks like a seal was omitted on manufacture
He took it:

screenshot_908.jpg

And thank you're lucky stars you've been let off the hook; you should be looking for an LED PIR floodlight - yes it'll cost more initially, but save costs in the long run.
I've already got an LED floodlight which I'm quite happy with, it is only the PIR bit gone FUBAR (had a look inside, it has got very wet :( )

Buy a standalone one of a good make. Dunno about their PIRs, but I've had a Steinel dusk/dawn photocell jobbie outside for over 10 years, and it's fine.

Buy a standalone one of a good make. Dunno about their PIRs, but I've had a Steinel dusk/dawn photocell jobbie outside for over 10 years, and it's fine.
I've had a cheap Maplin 500w one out the back here for 20 years, there are still 2 on mother's house (which I bought at the same time)- they look well tatty but still work fine.

IMGP6661.JPG
I had the same problem with water that small hole drilled in the PIR has cured the problem. I think the problem is two fold, one is any water that does get in has no where to get out again, and two the lamp warming up and cooling down again expands and contracts the air inside so it sucks in any water. One small hole and both problems are solved. Clearly I had to dismantle the light first to ensure my drill did not damage any thing. And at time of picture still not fully dried out. Design of the lamp means water getting in any where will end up in the PIR. And since my light has a 5W LED to replace the 120W tube there is enough heat to draw in water but not enough to drive it out again.

View attachment 97808 I had the same problem with water that small hole drilled in the PIR has cured the problem. I think the problem is two fold, one is any water that does get in has no where to get out again, and two the lamp warming up and cooling down again expands and contracts the air inside so it sucks in any water. One small hole and both problems are solved. Clearly I had to dismantle the light first to ensure my drill did not damage any thing. And at time of picture still not fully dried out. Design of the lamp means water getting in any where will end up in the PIR. And since my light has a 5W LED to replace the 120W tube there is enough heat to draw in water but not enough to drive it out again.
Took the detector bit apart, dried it out, drilled it- thing is still latched on so lit all the time- not a major disaster at 10w but irritating.

I've had a cheap Maplin 500w one out the back here for 20 years, there are still 2 on mother's house .
1000watts? Her neighbours must love her. And she'll be wondering why her lekky bills are so huge.
Out in the sticks so no neighbours and not much traffic either, they're not lit long enough to cause a major issue but yes I probably ought to update them... :)

Design of the lamp means water getting in any where will end up in the PIR.
Mount it the other way up?
That would put the adjustments for time, sensitivity and light levels on the top. I would not expect them to be good enough to ensure no water ingress and also one could not adjust them. Had I read the instructions before fitting it did say:-
"Not suitable for use in extreme conditions. While the floodlight offers basic protection against mechanical aggression and splashed water it should not be exposed to extreme weather conditions such as hail showers."
So clearly should have been mounted with some form of spigot so in bad weather it could be quickly and easily unplugged and lifted off the spigot and taken in doors. Although it also stated:-
"The halogen floodlight must be mounted on a stable outer wall made of a non-flammable material and must not be used indoors."
I suppose that was the problem I don't have any stables!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back