Replacing normal 60w garden light with 120 flood light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
am looking at installing the below (see link from screwfix) security light in my garden.

am not an electrician and therefore hope someone can give me some guidance. please see blink below:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/black-pir-photocell-120w-2216lm/38243

i want to buy the above and replace the below.

my question is:
can i just swap the 2 around withouth additional wiring?
do i need any adaptors?
in short, is it a case of take above one down and use same wires to fit the new flood light below?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Buy an LED flood you will not regret it! I have used a Time guard led which was very compact and bright around £64 but well worth it.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Won't the position be a bit low for that type of fitting?
I think it will still be useful to the burglars.

Jolly thoughtful of the OP to provide them with enough light to work by - this is a busy time of year for them so they need to be as effective as possible. Shame he didn't do it last week, though, as ideally they like to get in before Christmas Day, when all the presents are still under the tree.

I nearly suggested an LED one. But at an extra £50 your not going to get back in savings.

Hopefully the screwfix one should last a couple of years by which time the LED ones will be even better and much cheaper.

thanks all for the comments.

i have just finished installing. seems to work ok. waiting for darkness to see if auto on/off works.

yes a bit low but didnt want to complicate it by moving cable etc. works fine to give us lighting for the garden and walkway to shed.

and hopefully serve as a deterrent as well to burglers!
thank you all.

thanks ban-all-sheds

very informative

main reason for the lighting though is just to light the garden and the walk way to the shed, as the previous bulb just wasnt bright enough. if it helps with security, that will be a bonus.

but thank you for the links. interesting reading...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back