PIR light with dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I have an outside light that's controlled by a switch. I'd like to change the light for a PIR one and also change the switch to a dimmer.

The reason for the dimmer is it's in my hallway, which also has switches for downstairs and upstairs, so i'd like to have a nice neat triple dimmer, rather than a double dimmer with toggle switch/non-switched FCU.

Is there anything fundamentally or sanely wrong in having a PIR light on a dimmer switch. I know it would only work if the dimmer was on the ON position, which it would have to be left in.

Or can I tweak the wiring so there's no switch to the outside light, in other words it's a permanent live.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can achieve what you want to do but you will probably need to have 4 core plus CPC between switch and lamp.

If this is a security lamp or used to illuminated a hazard area ( steps etc ) then dimming it may not be sensible.

The PIR sensor will need permanent Live and Neutral.

It creates a PIR switched Live that in normal use feeds the lamp.

You will need disconnect that PIR switched Live from the lamp and instead take it to the Live terminal on the dimmer.

The controlled Live output from the dimmer will need to be taken back to the lamp.

Core 1 Neutral to PIR and lamp
Core 2 Permanent Live
Core 3 Switched Live from PIR to dimmer
Core 4 Dimmed Live from dimmer to lamp

Use a twin and earth for Cores 1 and 2
Use another twin and earth for Cores 3 and 4.

Connect all CPCs ( earths )

Sponsored Links
Bernard... I was thinking of wiring the light in the usual way, with the dimmer controlling it - although the dimmer would be left in the on position at full whack. It might be a pain should somebody switch it off so I might try and fabricate a plastic washer of sorts to stop it from being pushed in to turn it off.

I completely agree that that sounds OTT, but it's worth it for me to have a single tri-gang dimmer, rather than a double gang with FCU, which is what I had at my last house.

I could wire it in so it's perma-live, but if I, or a future owner, ever decide to get rid of the PIR and replace with a non-PIR light (which would require a switch to operate), it's simple.

Are you certain that your PIR light is dimmer-able?

I have a feeling that the PIR bit may not like a chopped up sinewave being stuffed up its input.

Hey,

I have an outside light that's controlled by a switch. I'd like to change the light for a PIR one and also change the switch to a dimmer.
You say that, but then later you say that you want to modify the switch so it can't actualy be switched off.

And you said that after it was pointed out to you that you can get an on/off switch which looks just like a dimmer, and therefore does the "i'd like to have a nice neat triple dimmer, rather than a double dimmer with toggle switch/non-switched FCU" thing.

So let's rewind.

Do you want there to be away to turn the light on and off, or not?

Do you want there to be away to turn the light on and off, or not?

Thinking about it, yes. And as I mentioned earlier if I ever decide to do away with a PIR, I can just replace the fixing - no additional work required.

it was pointed out to you that you can get an on/off switch which looks just like a dimmer

How would what was linked to fit in this though - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLJQP303W.html?

I've decided to use LED GU10 throughout my house, specifically the Megaman range. They have a list of dimmers which they suggest to use. The one I linked to is ranked #1.

I could have used what was linked to, but then this switch would be different to the rest of the house, which I didn't want.

Hang on... is the module designed to replace one of the dimmers in the switch I linked to? As in I take one out and replace it. I thought it was to be used with something like grid plates.

Seriously didn't think that was possible, if so. And if so I will get one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back