PIR piggy back

A double twist will never come undone. Try pulling one apart - the wires break first.

Sponsored Links
Double twisting works well. Twist it, fold it and twist it again. Been doing that for the past 25 years and never yet had a problem.

Are you being serious?

I remember years ago being called out to a system in the early hours that would not set. (Britannia Security!!)

It had 20 vipers on a single zone(!) and the installation guy had used the twist technique to loop in and out of the vipers.

Thanks for that - took me bloody ages to find the one twisted connection that was causing the problem.

I ended up going back the following day (working hours) to go round and solder all of the twisted connections, as I really didn't want another fun and games gig at 3am.

starting from the left hand side of the bottom pic

T = 6
- = 12v -ve
+ = 12v +ve
nc = 3
nc = 4
da = (do nothing with this)
T = 7

A double twist will never come undone. Try pulling one apart - the wires break first.

Personal preference then I suppose - if it works for you, then fine.

Fortunately, I no longer have to go out and rectify other people's (somethimes poor) workmanship any more.

Sponsored Links
NACOSS or SSAIB wont accept twisted joints, they have to be crimped or soldered.

Who cares what they want? Crimped joints are nothing but trouble. (and I've got a proper ratchet crimper)

NACOSS or SSAIB wont accept twisted joints, they have to be crimped or soldered.
So all the junction boxes that have been used over the years are no longer acceptable, when did this happen then?

If the wires are in a junction box and are held in the terminal between the nut and fastener then that is crimped or a terminal block etc ie either solder or a mechanical form of joint, not just twisted with a bit of tape over.

If the wires are in a junction box and are held in the terminal between the nut and fastener then that is crimped or a terminal block etc ie either solder or a mechanical form of joint, not just twisted with a bit of tape over.
Play semantics if you like but cables held compressed under a screw head are not crimped in the accepted meaning of the term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back