PIR Positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting new wired PIR(s) for my lounge and I've had a couple ideas for positioning already, though this one's a bit of a unique challenge.

The sliding door lets a lot of light in and the top left corner has a radiator beneath it. It would also struggle to catch an intruder coming through the sliding door since a thick curtain blocks some of it's view there.

Also, I want an intruder to be caught quickly after opening the kitchen door. I could put a PIR in the corner above the porch door and this would provide decent coverage, though it would then be facing the large sliding door about 9 metres away.

What do you suggest? I'm happy to use more than one detector and wiring isn't restricted within reason.
Basic diagram with unimportant furniture omitted below (not to scale).

1701707174884.png

Sponsored Links
Ceiling 360 maybe.

Facing the sliding door isn’t an issue, it’s how any light coming through May hit the sensor.

you can usually find guidance in the dos and donts for sensors in most manuals.

Avoid drafts, heat, light etc etc.

Put a Capture ceiling DT and use anti cloak mode.

At least hard wired it wouldn’t be too expensive.

Ceiling 360 maybe.

Facing the sliding door isn’t an issue, it’s how any light coming through May hit the sensor.

you can usually find guidance in the dos and donts for sensors in most manuals.

Avoid drafts, heat, light etc etc.

Put a Capture ceiling DT and use anti cloak mode.

At least hard wired it wouldn’t be too expensive.
I’ve read through manuals by Pyronix and Texecom and while I get all the usual avoid heat sources, what they don’t explain is if the light from a window can’t be in a PIR’s field of view or just can’t be directly in its lens.

I could go 360 but corner placement would be desirable since there are a couple of lampshade ceiling lights

Last edited:
In that case 360 doesn’t sound suitable.

PIRs should not have light shining at them.

A DT will help if you can’t avoid the position of facing the window.

Ideally a pir in the window wall corner facing into the room rather than a corner facing the window.

Sponsored Links
In that case 360 doesn’t sound suitable.

PIRs should not have light shining at them.

A DT will help if you can’t avoid the position of facing the window.

Ideally a pir in the window wall corner facing into the room rather than a corner facing the window.
It’s a tricky one as the kitchen door opens the wrong way round. I could put the PIR in the top-left corner but then it wouldn’t be very quick at catching someone walking through the kitchen door or sliding door. I could use multiple sensors across the room but still trying to work out where

Last edited:
not sure I have my thing else to say.

Put wires to both points you think give best coverage and test them maybe.

not sure I have my thing else to say.

Put wires to both points you think give best coverage and test them maybe.
Yeah that’s probably the best way forward. Thanks for your time though mate

Put a contact on the kitchen door ….it will go off as soon as it’s opened
Mind reader! Was putting it off incase someone might've suggested a simpler PIR method (really didn't want to cut up the door frame)
But thinking about it, a brown flush-mount contact wouldn't look too bad eh.

Throw in a contact on the sliding door along with one or two Quad element PIRs (like the KX15DQ), and my ancient plasma telly and DVD player will at last be secure haha.

1701798614681.png

I wouldn’t put that detector above a radiator
Fair, its not directly above it but I could probably get away without a detector there if I’m protecting both doors with perimeter sensors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back