pir within existing lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
with winter coming im thinking of adding some PIR's to the existing lighting within certain rooms, which should save electricity and keep rooms to a safe lighting level.

if possible i would like to keep the existing option of being able to switch the lights on or off, regardless of the fact some of the PIR's ive been looking at can have their settings changed. ie watching a movie on tv in the dark - cant turn light off!

i have seen some replacement switches that have pir's built in and it states that they are only suitable for "ordinary incandescent and tungsten lighting, and is not suitable for use with energy saving, low voltage, halogen or fluorescent lighting".

can be seen on http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=pir switch&source=15&SD=Y

now my question is can it be done whilst keeping existing switches, can these PIR's be used http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=3141&doy=25m9#spec is there any reason why engery saving bulbs etc cant be used?

my next plan is to have stair lighting, possibly built into the side of the steps so that if the stairs PIR is active then it lights some small bulbs (halogens???)/LED arrays. these would work independant of the normal house lighting and would be primarily for getting home late and not being forced to put normal lights on which would annoy/wake up other people, but allow people to safely see the stairs and any objects that may even be on them. i was thinking of using the same type PIR as planned for the other project above, but then simply connect the pir and lighting to a normal 13 plug ?

Sponsored Links
If you will think the PIR as a switch may be it will make it easier. You can isolate the PIR by putting a switch before it, and you can put another switch that will override it and supply power to the lights ignoring the PIR. Of course the two switches can be together as a 2g switch.

Just wire in with it's own switch. It's well worth the effort. I've one in the hall which works really well for people going to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

so just plug the PIR switch wires into the existing normal switch wire holes? is it really that simple ?

the pir's i looked at said they needed their own power supply, which from memory wasnt alot, can this be some how plugged into the same socket? i just have visions of wires everywhere and not know what to plug in where!

Sponsored Links
no, they need their own supply

the first one you mentioned is better no extra switch required as it has its own switch (if you read the blurb)

how ever its maximum on time is 6 minutes, bit of a pain if its on auto and you are eating, 6 minutes later..........darkness, but you could switch it permanently on, but in a way that defeats the object of having it.

i suggest you do as i do, tell people to turn the light off if no one in the room, cheaper and it works

i bought a PIR as curiosity got the better of me,

inside there are 4 connectors

LS - not sure what it means but guessing Light Switch ?
Live
Neutral
Earth

the diagrams that come with it are poor and hard to make out
, but i could make out that the wire running a lamp live should be connected to the LS and Neutral going to the same as the Power N

any ideas?

read the words of the instructions (since you have them and i dont)

PIR requires a neutral byt he sound of it. And I doubt you have one at the switch position. IMO, a PIR isn't the best solution in all cases. PIR with an override . . . . you're only going to override it every time you go into the room anyway!!! I honestly cant see the point.

You mention watching telly in bed. Remote control switches are available, which can be controlled by a button on your existing remotes, or you can buy the remotes made by the switch manufacturer. I have some, they work really well, controlled by the Sky remotes blue button, which has no use for me. These switches also dim and are touch controlled.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_All/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_5/index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back