Pitched roof on tapered building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build a garage extension which is tapered (one end bigger than the other). There are some buildings like this with flat roofs, but I don't think I've ever seen one with a pitched roof. I'm wondering whether it's possible and even what it would look like (it would need to look sensible to get planning permission). The size I would be looking at is something like 7m wide at the front, 4m at the rear, and about 8 meters in length.

If it's not possible then one option would be to have the size changing in a couple of places, eg. get 1m smaller every 3 meters. This wouldn't utilise all of the available space and may not look very good, so I don't really want to do this.

Does any body have any ideas or know whether this would be possible?

Sponsored Links
It's perfectly feasible but your choice of tiles will be limited as your roof batten spacing will need to diminish as the building narrows so for example slates will work but interlocking tiles will not.

Sponsored Links
Pretty straightforward if using natural slate, in fact you can buy them in diminishing lengths from some suppliers(to order)but expensive.

Just stick a flattie on it. Not only do you have the tile coursing problems you will also have variable pitch from one end to the other. In spite of the optimism of the other two posters, a pitched roof is a ridiculous idea.

Nope, I'm a roofer.
Me too. I also build roofs.

Anyway, you said you'd build it.
The roof structure can be built in twist. Assuming the taper will be one side only, then you would set out a centre ridge point at the narrow (4m) end. One side will be pitched as normal. The tapering side will have a parallel ridge whilst the WP (wall plate) will run out as will the length of the rafters. The WP bidsmouth will also have to be skew. The pitch will start as normal and shallow out dramatically as the taper widens.

There may also be a need for a purlin (wide end) or ridiculous sized rafters. Fitting a purlin into this roof would be a boon!
The roof could be furnished with (metal?) sheet material

Last edited:
I'm now considering other locations so that I don't need an unusual shape. Space will be tight, but if I'm careful then I may be able to get something that I'm happy with although it will still depend on planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back