Pitched Roof renewal - how to satisfy BRegs?

It won't fail, it just won't be complete yet. You could arrange an interim inspection and then another when the insulation is installed, although, frankly, one at the end would be sufficient. My advice is 300mm laid at ceiling level as RandomGrinch above, which gives you a u-value of 0.14. Minimum u-value under L1(a) 2022 is 0.15.

PS. Or even 400mm. In the old days, the diminishing benefit of extra thickness was a factor. With fuel costs these days it probably isn't.
Improved U value for roofs is 0.16 in the current regs isn't it Jeds? Table 4.3 column b page 26 (of the pdf)

@keyzjh Also refer to page 90 table C1

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You are quite right, speed reading got me again. My eye homed in on the bit where he said 'no insulation'. I'd still recommend 300 or 400mm.

Sponsored Links
Managed to get through to the council, and they insist I will require roof insulation between the rafters to pass building regs inspection. Ceiling level insulation is not sufficient.
Are they mistaken or do I need to save up for more budget for the roof insulation? :(
They are mistaken.
Current guidance is to top up the ceiling insulation to 250mm glass wool if the insulation is not already to that standard.

Attachments

• Document_2023-02-20_185643.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
They are mistaken.
Current guidance is to top up the ceiling insulation to 250mm glass wool if the insulation is not already to that standard.
Thank you for the snippet!

It won't fail, it just won't be complete yet. You could arrange an interim inspection and then another when the insulation is installed, although, frankly, one at the end would be sufficient. My advice is 300mm laid at ceiling level as RandomGrinch above, which gives you a u-value of 0.14. Minimum u-value under L1(a) 2022 is 0.15.

PS. Or even 400mm. In the old days, the diminishing benefit of extra thickness was a factor. With fuel costs these days it probably isn't.
Is there a maximum period between submitting a Building Control notice and arranging for the final inspection (period between doing Points 1 and 4)?

For example:
1. Submit building control notice
2. Works on roof start 3 days later (past the min 48 hour notice period)
3. Install loft insulation
4. Inspection by local authority

I had originally planned to do the roof now, and insulation in Spring. But that may be too long for Building Control to be valid?

BC remains open for years. In theory for ever, but they do archive things eventually.

BC remains open for years. In theory for ever, but they do archive things eventually.
Thanks!
Does this mean 48 hours after notice is received by the council, my roofing works has been given 'consent' and I have that long period of time to do whatever necessary (insulation etc) to pass the inspection?

What happens if I fail the inspection e.g. insulation not thick enough, or inspector is not satisfied with some timber in the loft - will I be given the chance to remediate the situation, or is there some kind of permanent record of rejection?

From a quick look at council website, the following statuses are there on the Building Application:
1677083141836.png

Apologies all for the amount of questions, I want to do things right! :)

Last edited:
If things aren't quite right, discuss what the inspector wants and (presuming what they want is reasonable - it isn't always!) get that done and arrange another inspection.

Thanks a lot! I have filed the notice and will get the interim inspection arranged

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back