'Pitting/Mottling' on new gloss paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can't think of another term for this. Redecorating a bedroom and put on first gloss coat around 10 days ago and all fine. Rubbed down, cleaned throughly and started to apply second coat. Doing fine with door frame and skirting but when I applied to a flat window cill, half way around the room, it started to form a pitted/mottled pattern within seconds - not smooth at all.

Left it and re-commenced the next part of the skirting after the cill and, although not as bad, looks to be 'pitting' too.

Can't be the paint as it's new and both the first full coat and the areas painted with a second coat prior to the cill are all fine.

I did seal around the window with PVC 'cladding' and then used a frame sealant to fill in the gaps. I noticed that the sealant, although applied over a week ago, still isn't fully set (and therefore will it ever be???).

Is the paint reacting with something in this un-set sealant? If so, can I seal it somehow? Most importantly, is there a way of sorting the cill without having to rub right back top bare wood?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
At some point someone has used silicone based polish on the cills.

Too late to save the one you are doing but a cream cleanser before you paint will get it off.

Simon.

What you describe is called crazing, this will often occur when the newly applied paint is unhappy with what is beneath it. This could be some form of contamination or the application of a liquid gloss onto an already cured gloss system.

Crazing can often resemble small cracks in your newly applied paint system or a more globular pock marked affect can also occur, tell me please what paint system you are trying to apply eg, oil or waterbased and also any prep that you have done.

Help me and I will help you.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back