Placing radiators in a long living room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am an absolute amateur. I have just bought what I hope to be my last house in my lifetime. It is in some disrepair and I plan to do it up. First call is insulation and energy efficiency.

I am onto heating now. Loads of Q to follow. Floorplan as below:

FLOORPLAN.jpg

Specs:
220mm (?) solid brick walls.
Oriented North South. North and South walls are shorter, external , single stained glass window in wood frame 1.5x1.2m glazing to North and a double glazed bow window towards the south facing garden. Western wall is partition with neighbour, east to the hallway.

ALL walls are now clad in 72.5mm Kingspan K18 insulation board. The ceiling is insulated to bedroom by Knauf 44 mineral wool "just because"!

Pine floor, to be sealed by slivers.

There is an old 1.2m x 0.6m single radiator, apparently installed second hand by previous owners in the early 90s. This is under the north facing window. The room is c-c-c-cold.

I think I am going to need at least two 1.2mx0.6m double, convector radiators. STELRAD Softlines methinks. run by TRV4 TRVs and a thermostat in the hallway.

Can you please advice where the second radiator should go in this huge room? The rear bay window has 400mm or 500mm tall dwarf wall on either side of the door. I'd rather not stick anything here..

I intend the rear part to be some kind of dining room. The sofas etc will be in the North side where there is already the old single radiator under the window (to be changed to the Stelrad). I am hoping the wall between the rear lounge and the kitchen would be the best place?
[/b]

Sponsored Links
given the length of the room it is almost best to treat it as 2 seperate rooms and put the rads as far apart as possible this should eliminate either cold or hot spots (you dont want a hot spot in case michael barrymore wants a shot in your swimming pool :oops: )

Bump - or should that be splash :rolleyes: . What was the 2nd most stupid thing Barry did :?: ...Took the **** out of SU BO when she was on His show :LOL: :LOL: Should`ve stayed @ Butt Lins , shouldn`t he - allegedly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back