Plan Y to Plan W

No, but I do as a living design complex electronics, some of which are for trains. My reputation depends upon my designs being right so I guess I apply the same to my own CH :rolleyes:

Website link removed as it was advertising

Sponsored Links
leaves on the line,wrong type of snow,sounds good electronics to me

Train spotter - no, can't see the point :p
Dandruff - no I use head and shoulders thanks :p
Round glasses, - no I prefer squarer :p

So wrong on all 3 counts.

For those interested the problem with leaves is that the rails and the train wheels and axle are used to detect the train presence. Image a battery connected to a section of rails and also a lamp. Lamp is lit. Along comes a trains and shorts out the lamp so you know the train is in that section. Leaves produce a film when they decay and despite mega tonnes of train you don't get electric contact so the train disappears and the interlocking has a fit.

Newer trains are worse since the old ones used to slide their wheel back and forth over the rails. Worse ride and more rail wear but better electrical contact - then the train makers "fixed" it.

There are electrical systems to overcome leaves (or you could just cut down the trees), but all costs money and they don't want to spend it for the odd problem.

Sponsored Links
Not exactly transformers these days. It's electronics like everything else. And it uses software too of course. Cars and planes are going the same way of course, all electronics.

The old kit used a lot of relays. In railway parlance a miniature relay is about the size of a large hardback book :LOL: Makes sense if you saw a standard relay I guess (1900's era). I've seen some 3 hardbacks big.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back