Upgrading W to Y Plan

Sponsored Links
I didn't get from honeywell site as need an account but it's knocking about in other places for example:

http://www.jl-heating.co.uk/downloads/w_plan.pdf

Quote is third of way down on 2nd page.

I think wiring fault is just cables to HW stat terminals 1 and C wrong way round. I'll get a chance to check this afternoon and post update.

a couple of you sent me a PM to get a copy of the honeywell wiring powerpoint, did i send it to you?? :oops:
i have upgraded laptop to windows 7 and took the opportunity to bin emails and all old stuff that wasnt needed is gone, so i dont know if i sent it or not, if i didnt please send me another PM and i will do it
cheers

I didn't get from honeywell site as need an account but it's knocking about in other places for example:

http://www.jl-heating.co.uk/downloads/w_plan.pdf

Quote is third of way down on 2nd page.
I can't see any reason why they should say this. After all, it's an either/or situation: either heating or hot water. You can't have both at the same time.

Swapping the wires to 1 and c of the cylinder stat is an understandable mistake as the W Plan is the opposite way round to all other plans, where C is the feed from the time and 1 is the call to the boiler.

As you have a programmable stat for the CH, the wiring will also be different, but I expect you have sussed this out already. The same goes for the pump wiring with your particular boiler.

Sponsored Links
Good and bad news.

The HW stat was wired up wrong and fixing that has meant the diverter is never powered if CH is not calling for heat. That's sorted.

The bad news. I can't have CH without HW. The diverter needs to be powered for CH. Terminal 2 on the HW stat is the only source of power to the diverter. Terminal 2 is only powered when HW is up to temp and not calling for heat. Obvious when I look at the honeywell diagram. :oops:

Think I'm back to the Y plan solution. :cry:

The bad news. I can't have CH without HW. The diverter needs to be powered for CH. Terminal 2 on the HW stat is the only source of power to the diverter. Terminal 2 is only powered when HW is up to temp and not calling for heat. Obvious when I look at the honeywell diagram.
I had just been writing to say that this does not make sense when I suddenly realized why what you say is true: if the hot water never gets up to temperature, the HW stat will always be in the Call position (terminal 1) so the valve will never open.

If the HW never reaches temp set on cyl stat your prob is likely to be;
a) boiler stat set lower than cyl stat. or
b) cyl stat set too high or faulty (not switching off)
If you add a timer to the HW circuit you will be half way there.

Thanks for all your advice. It's been essential in helping me understand situation and realise the wiring fault.
Currently owner is using the HW stat to turn off water when not required. Inconvenient but works fine.
Now that I think I understand the circuit I'll see if there is opportunity to introduce a HW timer; I suspect it won't be possible unless install HW/CH combined controller as per W design. But that won't give CH independence of HW.
I'll consider whether changing priority to CH helpful. That will involve turning the three port valve round so draining the system down to that point. A hassle but no cost.
Most likely I'll upgrade to a Y plan. Looks like it's just wiring changes and a more sophisticated valve actuator.
Thanks, Francis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back