plane to finish worktop & saw blade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,
cutting some 38mm laminate worktop. I've read through previous posts, I'm not doing corner joins for my kitchen only cutting to length so likely to use my decent circular saw, although i want to buy a new blade that's finer than my usual one obviously (and recommendations?)...
EDIT- just looked at price of decent circulaw saw blade like TCT, need some recommendations what one to get that doesn't cost more than my circular saw! PS I have a 1500W JCB saw with a 184mm blade)
Questions-

1. If i chip it a bit, can I use my electric plane to clean up the cut edge?
I know the proper way is a decent router but i only have a wee toy one (1000W 1/4 inch) which won't do. but an electric plane taken along the cut edge from the side has a similar effect does it not?

2. I also have a breakfast bar need to cut to length which is double bullnosed. i should cut from front to back with bottom side up with circular saw, but there's 2 fronts on a bar! How likely is it the circular saw will chip my second front at the other side of the bar?? But cutting twice and meeting in the middle sounds a bit dodgy too. Any ideas? Will a decent handsaw (and some weetabix!!) do the job ok?

3. Also considering an overhang at one end of a normal worktop with a 45degree angle to front edge then straight to back wall (no nasty curves, just 2 straight cuts) Is it easy enough to do this with a circular saw and then plane or am I pushing it? Also any tips for the edging strip? Glue on then trim the front edge with a sharp stanley, no different to normal? or harder?

thanks folks (prefer to get advice BEFORE i destroy my new worktop lol)

Sponsored Links
save yourself a lot of grief and by a1/2 router some of the working methods you are suggesting require very high skill levels and can be dangerous

ok cheers,
1/2 inch rpouter ideal but can't justofy cost at mo. Considering a decent blade for my saw, local supplier has a 48 tooth blade, would prefer more but if anyone can confirm 48tooth blade is ok will give it a go...

btw- what am i doing that's dangerous?
(other than using a circular saw or plane which yes are very dangerous if you're an idiot and don't hold with 2 hands or something..)

yes i'd agree a bit of skill is needed.. fairly sure i have enough.. ;)
will soon find out.

You could always hire a Festool Ts55 plunge saw and guide rail for a day. Definitely the best way to cut any worktop cleanly. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
im in the middle of replacing quite a few worktops and i just use a hand saw to cut to length and any angles.then evo on the trim.

use a sharp saw,i always cut from post form edge 1st.start with a vertical cut 1st then angle the saw down to about 30 degrees,making sure you keep the saw upright.VERY rarely do i use a plane.

andy1020 cleaning up work top cuts means, with the work top lying flat and the cutter block on an electric planer vertical, this means exposed blades on the blind side of the work top pretty close to some very important body parts also giving you a good chance of break out on the laminate and of course if your working with a planer without a directional chip extractor the chip board and laminate fragment s are shooting into your face ,the choice is yours the experts have given a few altrenatives

ok cheers folks!
yea wasn't sure that the plane would really clean it up properly anyway.
went & bought a 2100W 1/2 erbauer router from screwfix so will do it properly. saves hassle (& worktop!!)

Got the directioin of cut sorted: always left to right cutting into bullnose edge first, then the left hand edge will be the clean cut, then choose to work from top or bottom depending on which side needs to be clean, right?

:?: One question though: What about breakfast bar with 2 bullnose edges?
Am I best to stick to 1 pass of router which will go the wrong way through one of the bullnose edges and risk it, hoping it doesn't split the laminate, or am I best to do 2 cuts coming in from both ends through bullnose and meeting in the worktop? Obviously to do this i'd need to do 1 cut worktop right way up & other cut worktop upside down, shoudl this work (using guide on router?)
Someone with experience of both recommend best option here? Must be a common issue for breakfast bars i guess..
(PS for info I'm not using a jig, just router parallel guide or baton screwed/clamped to worktop as no corner joins to be done so font need jig..)

**EDIT - SORTED used guide and flipped came in from both ends no problem, based on other cuts it would have split the laminate at one end if I'd let the router come out the back. just updated in case anyone else finds this searching and to let folks know it's sorted. cheers. **

thanks for the advice.

and yea, don't think i fancy using a handsaw, gregors u must have more muscle (or patience) than me ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back