Planer on uPVC window sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few uPVC window sills to fit. However, the center at the back seems little out so it doesn't sit flush all the way across the windows. Both ends have a little gap because of the middle touching early. I'm wondering can I use a planer which I usually use for wood on very low setting to plane uPVC or is it too risky? I can't think of any other way to reduce the depth by very small amounts

Sponsored Links
Personally wouldn't use an electric planer, but a sharp hand plane would probably do the trick and you would have better control over it - or maybe a chisel. It depends on how much you have to remove. A metal file would tidy up as necessary or might be enough on its own.

Blup

John2k,
I normally use my sander on uPVC to reduce its size.
Or sandpaper in a block.
I think I would be worried about using a planer because in case it chipping the uPVC - but never tried.
SFK

If it's minimal use a light grit sand paper to reduce it down, otherwise a router or jigsaw, redress the edge with sandpaper. I've also used a metal-cutting circular saw with a 150x52tooth blade and I'd possibly try my speed adjustable plunge saw which has a 56 tooth thin kerf.

Sponsored Links
I'll be the naysayer then and state that I've used a power planer on PVCu windows many, many times. You need brand new cutters, the cut is set to minimal, feed speed is fairly fast (faster than cutting wood) and you need to keep a sharp lookout that the planer doesn't choke up on the swarf. Edge quality is only so-so but the inside of the window at the edge will be hidden by plastic and the outside by either mastic, beading or even be hidden in the rebate in the masonry (when replacing sashes) so it doesn't matter that much. Go carefully a work to a pencil line as it is easy to over cut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back