1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Planer Thicknesser

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by morpheus83uk, 28 Mar 2020.

1. morpheus83uk

morpheus83uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

I am looking for a bench top planer thicknesser and I have looking around and found Titan, Scheppach and Erbauer. I there there seems to be a few Clarke??? Ones about too none of the main brand names like Bosch, Makita, Dewalt seem to do planer thicknessers. They seem to just be thicknessers.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the above or any other bench top planer thicknessers? I dont have much room so a free standing one is out of the question.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

James

2. Sponsored Links
  3. lostinthelight

lostinthelight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. pete50

pete50

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Have just noticed that Screwfix have temporarily stopped selling certain tools such as the thicknessers (other than where they are sent direct from the manufacturer).

6. Nozzle

Nozzle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No problem... but even small desktop planers need to be placed in the centre of a large (at least long) room that's twice as long as the longest piece of timber you want to plane. With this in mind, sticking it on a desktop might mean you're limited to planing 4' lengths (in a garage that's 9' wide). Then you'll think to yourself, if only it was on it's own legs then I could place it in the middle of the room....

Nozzle

• Like Like x 1
  7. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some of the descriptions are misleading on the cheaper end are only planers, not capable of reducing timer to specific sizes.Have cheap clarkes 6" which is poorly made, find it quicker to use a 3" hand power plane as table top model can require many passes to clean up timber and any slight curve in timber means its left untouched.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. morpheus83uk

morpheus83uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello I have been looking around and it looks like its going to be between these two unless anyone has any other suggestions? If not which would people go with and why?

SCHEPPACH HMS1070
    TITAN TTB579PLN

Thanks

James

10. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Scheppach might be better on spares and/or support if it is ever needed. Distributor is NMA Agencies in Elland near Halifax and they are a reputable firm. Titan is a Screwfix house brand. Says it all, really

11. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  12. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have the Titan and my only complaint is when using the thicknesser I find the extension support bars are sometimes too short. This means, unless you are supporting the entire length of the board as it comes out, you can end up with a 'scoop' ate the end.

The Ferrex from ALDI is probably a re-badged Scheppach. I have a few Ferrex tools and the manuals have Sheppach as the 'parent' company.
    The same model branded Scheppach will probably cost twice as much for the same thing from ALDI.

13. justbigboned

justbigboned

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you still need advice on this topic?

Sponsored Links