Planer Thicknesser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking for a bench top planer thicknesser and I have looking around and found Titan, Scheppach and Erbauer. I there there seems to be a few Clarke??? Ones about too none of the main brand names like Bosch, Makita, Dewalt seem to do planer thicknessers. They seem to just be thicknessers.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the above or any other bench top planer thicknessers? I dont have much room so a free standing one is out of the question.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Screwfix have a few. I have the Titan which is similar to the Sheppach and that one from Aldi. I don't rate the planer because the flimsy fence isn't straight. Obviously that could be sorted. The thicknesser is okay but to be honest at those prices you are not going to get anything "professional."

https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/pl...agedredirect-_-powertools-_-planerthicknesser

Have just noticed that Screwfix have temporarily stopped selling certain tools such as the thicknessers (other than where they are sent direct from the manufacturer).

Sponsored Links
I dont have much room so a free standing one is out of the question.

No problem... but even small desktop planers need to be placed in the centre of a large (at least long) room that's twice as long as the longest piece of timber you want to plane. With this in mind, sticking it on a desktop might mean you're limited to planing 4' lengths (in a garage that's 9' wide). Then you'll think to yourself, if only it was on it's own legs then I could place it in the middle of the room....

Nozzle

Some of the descriptions are misleading on the cheaper end are only planers, not capable of reducing timer to specific sizes.Have cheap clarkes 6" which is poorly made, find it quicker to use a 3" hand power plane as table top model can require many passes to clean up timber and any slight curve in timber means its left untouched.

Hello I have been looking around and it looks like its going to be between these two unless anyone has any other suggestions? If not which would people go with and why?

SCHEPPACH HMS1070
TITAN TTB579PLN

Thanks

James

Scheppach might be better on spares and/or support if it is ever needed. Distributor is NMA Agencies in Elland near Halifax and they are a reputable firm. Titan is a Screwfix house brand. Says it all, really

I have the Titan and my only complaint is when using the thicknesser I find the extension support bars are sometimes too short. This means, unless you are supporting the entire length of the board as it comes out, you can end up with a 'scoop' ate the end.

The Ferrex from ALDI is probably a re-badged Scheppach. I have a few Ferrex tools and the manuals have Sheppach as the 'parent' company.
The same model branded Scheppach will probably cost twice as much for the same thing from ALDI.

Hello,

I am looking for a bench top planer thicknesser and I have looking around and found Titan, Scheppach and Erbauer. I there there seems to be a few Clarke??? Ones about too none of the main brand names like Bosch, Makita, Dewalt seem to do planer thicknessers. They seem to just be thicknessers.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the above or any other bench top planer thicknessers? I dont have much room so a free standing one is out of the question.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

James

Do you still need advice on this topic?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back