Planer thicknesser blade damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,
I put a length of timber through my planer thicknesser (makita 2012nb) and failed to notice a nail.
The blades look ruined, but should i be worried about damage to the machine?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I’m sure the machine will be fine.....they are built to withstand much greater stress than a nail can provide!
The blades will be goosed though, unfortunately.
John :)

you may be able to turn your blades round and use the other end

edit

yes it looks like you can

the one in the vid really needs vacuum dust extraction.

Yes the machine will be ok so long as it didn't jam up and stall.
The blades unfortunately will need to be replaced as they will have a chip out of them. This will leave a raised strip equal to the depth of the chip. It's no use thinking you could move the board sideways slightly to shave it off as you simply create another one parallel to the first.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.
I had a look yesterday, and yes, the blades are kaput with a big chip out of them. There's a little gouge out of the blade housing too.
They are indeed double sided, so I switched them and all appears well. I've run quite a bit of stock through and its been fine.
Incredibly annoying as the nail was very obvious, a lesson learned......

Yes the machine will be ok so long as it didn't jam up and stall.
The blades unfortunately will need to be replaced as they will have a chip out of them. This will leave a raised strip equal to the depth of the chip. It's no use thinking you could move the board sideways slightly to shave it off as you simply create another one parallel to the first.

The machine didn't jam, there was just a loud-ish thud and a spark when the blades hit the nail. Freaked me out.

I've just tried to plane a bit of scrap wood on my thicknesser as a small support for a shelf in my shed. PING!!!!!! Yes, there was a headless nail in the wood. :mad:

Just had to order a new set of blades because they are single sided. At £26.99 a pair it's not a mistake I want to be doing very often. Think I will stick to new wood in future.

I've just tried to plane a bit of scrap wood on my thicknesser as a small support for a shelf in my shed. PING!!!!!! Yes, there was a headless nail in the wood. :mad:

Just had to order a new set of blades because they are single sided. At £26.99 a pair it's not a mistake I want to be doing very often. Think I will stick to new wood in future.

I feel your pain. At least yours was headless, mine was clearly visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back