Planing oak sleepers

DHS680. The blade is fractionally out of square towards the centre (spindle hole) of the blade but perfectly square towards the cutting edge. This is against the base plate.

Even when I’m careful, on the 200mm side of timber, the blade will start on one side of the pencil line and end up on the other side. Something is amiss and I can’t work out what it is.

... the back of the blade is 1-2mm further out from the edge of the sole plate compared to the front of the blade. How do I adjust this?
Unfortunately I don't have a DHS680 at home right now, so I can't confirm this, however my recollection from the last one I repaired for a colleague in January was that the pivot pin at the rear of the saw goes into an oval hole and is locked with a grub screw. I'll have a saw to hand on Monday morning (maybe even tomorrow) and I'll confirm this.

All the forgoing stuff was general principles, rather than specifics.

Sponsored Links
Well I succumbed and bought a 100mm belt sander. I managed to get rid of the “stepped” edges from inaccurate blade cutting.

Might post this separately but does anyone know how much a sleeper might expand lengthways in wet weather? They are laid in such a way that it’s surrounded by concrete patio and I’d hate for the concrete to crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back