planitherm glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am getting new Rehau profile upvc windows fitted and the company said that they will put planitherm glass in....on further questioning the company said that they use pilkington float glass and planitherm (saint gobain) glass for the inside part of the unit....they said they did this to get a better rating. Is it normal to use two different manufacturers of glass...i guess with a float glass cause its uncoated you can use anything but still?????
cheers geezer

Sponsored Links
Maybe they just get float glass cheaper from Pilkington. Float glass is just normal glass so I cant see any other benefit from using one supplier over another.

the company said that they will put planitherm glass in....on further questioning the company said that they use pilkington float glass and planitherm (saint gobain) glass for the inside part of the unit

I'm confused what you or they mean here, you can't use both brands for one pane of glass (inside pane) :?:

FYI from the two brands here they both have whats called hard coat and soft coat low E glass, the hard coated glass has that horrible bluey hue, soft coated glass has a coating that is near on invisible

Hard coats are...

Pilkington 'K'
Saint Gobain 'EcoLogic'

Soft coats are...

Pilkington 'K-S'
Saint Gobain 'Planitherm'

All glass starts out in life as ordinary float glass (the type that breaks just as you expect glass to break), this is then coated to give it the low E rating whether it be hard or soft coat.

Float glass can also be toughened by way of heat treatment and this breaks like the glass in car doors

Are they suggesting they will use Planitherm float for the inner pane and Pilkington K float for the outer pane, or basic Pilkington(uncoated) float

You only have to fit low E to the inner pane, if they are bigging up Planitherm - and quite rightly too and say they are going to fit it then make sure you don't get the slightly inferior Pilkington 'K', inferior in the respect that it has the horrible bluey hue/tint

We are talking about glass here?

We are talking about microscopic differences in heat loss that are barely calculable.

Stop fretting as long as you can look out of 'em.

Sponsored Links
they said they using planitherm for the inside, the coated one...dont know which one exactly...and they will use a pilkington float glass for the outside pane...
i would have thought its just easier to use one of manufacturer but they are obviously getting the pilkington float glass cheaper...anyways i cant complain...i got a good deal for the rehau profile windows

Makes sense now but like you say why use two different glass manufacturers unless like gazman says they're probably getting a good deal from pilkington perhaps just on clear float and not 'K' and 'K-S', if they're selling you planitherm even just as the inner pane i'd make sure thats what you get, look for a clear with blue planitherm sticker

they said they using planitherm for the inside, the coated one...dont know which one exactly

Planitherm is made by Saint Gobain, there are various forms of planitherm but for basic domestic use will probably be planitherm total

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back