Plank size, what's best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my post about B and Q bamboo flooring I've since found a company on the internet who sell solid strand woven bamboo, I'm getting some samples sent. But really would like some advice on what size plank is best, they have 2 options either 915 x 96 x 14mm or 1830 x 142 x 14mm.

My room is 17 ft x 11 ft, if that makes a difference and the idea is to lay it floating on elastilon.

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Ta

Sponsored Links
The second one sounds like 'Bamboo'-engineered. As long as it has a decent top layer (3 - 4mm) I would opt for that one, fewer joints

The second one sounds like 'Bamboo'-engineered. As long as it has a decent top layer (3 - 4mm) I would opt for that one, fewer joints

Thanks, it's this one

http://www.bambooflooringcompany.co...d-woven-bamboo-flooring-wide-board/p_510.html

Does it look like engineered?

Or would this be a better option? Also available in the larger size?

http://www.bambooflooringcompany.co...arbonised-horizontal-bamboo-flooring/p_3.html

As I mentioned before, I'd buy it from you if you sold it!

They are not the real engineered ones (where the backing has high quality pine or plywood). Because of the way Bamboo flooring is made (you don't have thick bamboo trees, just hollow Bamboo grass) the board is what we call 'composed' out of layers of the same material = a stable product.

I would opt for the wide board, lesser joints and a more even look. Carbonised means the bamboo is heated where the sugar in the bamboo (think sugar cane) 'caramelises' which turns the product darker.

Appreciate the thought of buying from us, but alas none of our reputable suppliers carry it any longer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, wide board it is then.

When you did sell it which was more popular, and I appreciate it's only an opinion, better: strand woven, or horizontal? I think I'm sold on the carbonised as I like the darker look. I think the opinion on strand woven is that it is stronger?

All should be strong (if the correct adhesive and pressurising of the strips/strands have been applied).
In 'our time' you could only choose between horizontal or vertical pressed and most preferred the horizontal (the vertical is too busy) so can't comment really.

Great, thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it and I definitely agree the horizontal looks best.

Now to burn a hole in the credit card :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back