Planner has asked to alter plans because "it looks a bit high" - single detached garage

Sponsored Links
If they have suggested it would be OK as "storage", are they not helpfully suggesting a solution to you without outright saying it? Just call it storage to the same design (after all many "garages" are actually too small for a modern car).

I would just change the application name to storage and see if the highways issue goes away.

I have considered this but I'm not sure if the planners will approve as it is with a garage door, although I could say I need to keep the garage door to get large items in and out such as storage of large furniture.

I'm also not sure of the implications in the future if I ever want to sell the house as they'll be a "garage" but without permission to be used as a garage. Additionally if it's nolonger classed a parking area, I may have trouble in the future changing it back to an official parking area. This may be a bigger issue if it's deemed I'm nolonger using the area for parking officially then I could lose the benefit of the covenants providing access which would allow the neighbours to do whatever with the land. This is probably an unlikely scenario but it's just not something I should have to accept.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back