planning a flight of stairs....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..........just planning a future project!

I am thinking of installing a flight of stairs up to the loft

I think I have enough linear room for a straight flight, but may need to turn them 90 degrees at the top to save a banged head.

It is not the current intention to make the loft habitable but I would like to install the stairs as "up to standard as possible" (we don't need the room but someone in the future may)

can anyone advise on approx. lengths of floorspace required to do this? I am lucky enough to have a large landing with space either side of the current stairs and think I can install them pretty much over the top of the existing flight

also how much would I have to beef-up the trimmers between the joists to fix the staircase to at the top? or will some steel be required? I have spans of 3.25 and 2.35 (this is where stairs will go) between walls and think that 9 x 3 would be enough

Yes I intend to get professional advice But need to ask these questions to decide on rough costs before going to any real expense

Thanks people

I have watched all the videos on youtube but am non the wiser

EDIT spelling :oops:

Sponsored Links
The figures noseall quotes are the normal standards for domestic stairs.

However, IF the stairs are intended for a one-room loft conversion, and IF space is limited, these standards can be reduced - within reason - as long as the stairs are still safe.

But, if you do this to Building Regulations and notify your local council, you may as well be prepared to open Pandoras Box.

Thanks noseall and tony ;)

As I said above this is an old chaps dream hobby room, one that will be still accessible when I get really old. We have 4 bedrooms and there are only 2 of us (and occasional guests) so it will NOT be a habitable room whilst we are alive.

However if you do something, do it properly!

I now realise I made a poor job of asking my questions.....

noseall - I spent my life as a flooring salesman/estimator (usually spend my time in lofts and floor section). - I think you are suggesting that I add your dimensions together until I get to ceiling height - is that right?.

It is an old 1930`s loft and I have the space for a top landing etc not sure about windows but maybe a velux or 2

Sponsored Links
my stair for one room are steep just over std limit but less so the the current stairs with a Four winder on the lower landing
the main concern with regs is consistant ie using a winder the center down the stairs remains the same

lymmranger; your questions are a little vague, and you don't mention whether or not you will be doing this 'officially', through Building Control.

Unfortunately with lofts, there is no 'half-way' house. Once you put in a compliant fixed staircase - which is what you seem to intend - then for the purpose of fire regulations, the room becomes a habitable room, regardless of how YOU may use it. Technically this means that other regulations come into play, such as structural matters, insulation, means of escape etc.

Presumably you don't intend doing the full monty, so why bother putting in a compliant staircase in the first place? Would it matter if it was a bit steeper than normally acceptable, or if the headroom was a bit lower than 2m?

noseall - I spent my life as a flooring salesman/estimator (usually spend my time in lofts and floor section). - I think you are suggesting that I add your dimensions together until I get to ceiling height - is that right?.
Almost.

Floor board to floor board not ceiling height.

lymmranger; your questions are a little vague, and you don't mention whether or not you will be doing this 'officially', through Building Control.

Unfortunately with lofts, there is no 'half-way' house. Once you put in a compliant fixed staircase - which is what you seem to intend - then for the purpose of fire regulations, the room becomes a habitable room, regardless of how YOU may use it. Technically this means that other regulations come into play, such as structural matters, insulation, means of escape etc.

Presumably you don't intend doing the full monty, so why bother putting in a compliant staircase in the first place? Would it matter if it was a bit steeper than normally acceptable, or if the headroom was a bit lower than 2m?

The intention is to make the stairs compliant, and the floor strong enough to be compliant, but the room will never be described (by us in our life-time) as "compliant" or "habitable"

after all a "non-compliant" staircase will cost exactly the same as any staircase. Due to my "hobby" insulation will be pucker too (- do not want wild temperature fluctuations)

............thinking of my heirs really

Almost.

Floor board to floor board not ceiling height.

thanks for the clarification ..........understood!

but the room will never be described (by us in our life-time) as "compliant" or "habitable"

Then we'll have to keep quiet and not let on to your council :LOL:

(Does something suggest to me it's Cheshire East!?)

actually it will be in Wales where currently "the plan" is perfectly legal....

currently have property in Cheshire East and I think its Ok here too

EDIT - Dad? .....is that you? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back