Planning a new kitchen - advice sought please

P

pna

I'm nearing the end of all the 'easy' DIY jobs on our house and now our attention must turn to the kitchen, which basically looks like a 1970s original.

I've been to the library and read around, and have even designed a new layout. We are looking at:
- removing all tiling (entire kitchen covered)
- new elec CU, repositioning sockets and new circuit to reposition oven
- repositioning gas pipe for hob
- new flooring (concrete also needs levelling)
- new sink - may need to reposition slightly
- plastering
- new units, worktops

Seems like a big undertaking to me.

So to my (initial) questions:
1. What makes of kitchen units would people recommend? Does anyone have good/ bad experiences of IKEA or FOCUS kit?
2. Is fitting the units something I could easily carry out, or do you have to be a professional to get a quality result?
3. Is it normal to have the roof plastered as well if doing a whole room?
4. I would be grateful or any war-stories or tips that people could pass on.

Sponsored Links
Well, having had our kitchen refitted twice in 2 years, long story, I can perhaps point out a few things you might like to consider.

It is perferable if not always practical to remove the old kitchen, reposition all the services as to where you want them (bearing in mind that you have obviously planned the layout in advance). Then make good all the plastering, floors, celings etc, so that you end up with a bear shell. Once this has been done, putting the units in is really very simple. The main problems with the DIY approach is that unless properly certified.

You can't plumb a gas hob in
Kitchen electrics fall under part P (??)
Depending on the material, it might be best to get someone else in to do the worktops.

The rest is reasonably easy if you take your time. WRT to units, I don't reckon any of the large chains units are much cop to be honest.

I recently did an identical project, I have limited DIY experience but found it to be relatively straighforward. I ripped out most of the old kitchen first including tiles and had the walls and ceiling skimmed.

I got my kitchen from Curry's, they supply Hygena kitchens the same as MFI but were much cheaper. I have not had any problems at all and they were very easy to build. They also send out someone beforehand to measure up and do a design for you.

I only got a joiner in to fit the worktop as I wanted the join in the worktop mitered, you need a router and a special jig to do it yourself which was not worth buying for a one off job.

I also had to move a gas pipe, decided against it though and went with the electric hob. It cost me 30 quid to get the pipe capped off under the floor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I understand about Corgi & Part P, and would want to get someone in to do the plastering, worktops and possibly the plumbing. All in all, not much of a DIY job really!

Eddie M and accie17 - how long did your projects take? I think I will have a problem convincing the wife that we can live for a while without the kitchen, but I'm hoping we will be ok as we have a utility with sink/ washer & dryer, and a microwave, and the freezer in in the garage (one of the the reasons for the job).

It took me about a week from ripping everything out to having a functioning kichen again. I needed to do lots of raggling for new sockets etc which took longer than I thought. Helps if you have a good takeaway nearby!

Good Luck

We've been several weeks without a kitchen now. We get by quite well with the toaster, microwave and the George Foreman. Get a George, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it! (plus the food comes out tasty)

Washing up in the bath is a p.i.t.a. though. What I do is stack up all the stuff in the wire drawer taken from the dishwasher, and blast it with the power shower :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back