Planning a new kitchen - what wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am planning a new kitchen. I am making a list of what sockets/switches I have, what appliances I plan to put where and at what stage the electrician will come. The idea is to make sure the electrician comes only once at the right time.

The changes from the current lay out are:

1. A new induction hob will be installed. It is my understanding that I can lay the new 10mm2 myself and ask an electrician to come later to connect it to the consumer unit on one side and to the hob itself on the other side with the appropriate switch.

2. Where the current worktop is, a row of tall units will be installed. Right now, there is a 45Amp switch (a big red switch on one side of the plate and a 13 Amp socket on the other side of the same plate). The cable (6mm2) then goes to a double gang unswitched 13Amp socket for the oven and the ignition of the gas hob. In the new configuration, there will be a tall housing unit in front of that switch with a oven (3650w) and a microwave (900w). The 6mm2 cable is in a part of the wall (where there will be no units) before it reaches the switch. The question is: can I use the existing cooker sockets to plug the microwave and to hardwire the oven, and install another switch before (20Amp DP or 45Amp), in that part of the wall that will remain unobtructed? Basically what I need to know is if I can install the housing units before calling the electrician or not.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am planning a new kitchen. I am making a list of what sockets/switches I have, what appliances I plan to put where and at what stage the electrician will come. The idea is to make sure the electrician comes only once at the right time.
Not the wisest thing. It would be better to discuss this with the electrician first.

1. A new induction hob will be installed. It is my understanding that I can lay the new 10mm2 myself and ask an electrician to come later to connect it to the consumer unit on one side and to the hob itself on the other side with the appropriate switch.
If you want an Electrical Installation Certificate the electrician will have to, at least, supervise the work - as above.

The question is: can I use the existing cooker sockets to plug the microwave and to hardwire the oven, and install another switch before (20Amp DP or 45Amp), in that part of the wall that will remain unobtructed?
Yes, and probably use it for the hob as well - as above.

Basically what I need to know is if I can install the housing units before calling the electrician or not.
Not if he will need access to the walls behind - as above.

The question is: can I use the existing cooker sockets to plug the microwave and to hardwire the oven, and install another switch before (20Amp DP or 45Amp), in that part of the wall that will remain unobtructed?
Yes, and probably use it for the hob as well - as above.
The hob will be on the other side of the kitchen, so the use of the existing cable is not possible. Moreover, I would to have something future proof in case we want to update the 'cooker' in a couple of years by somehting more powerful.

Basically what I need to know is if I can install the housing units before calling the electrician or not.
Not if he will need access to the walls behind - as above.
It is precisely why I asked the question.

The hob will be on the other side of the kitchen, so the use of the existing cable is not possible. Moreover, I would to have something future proof in case we want to update the 'cooker' in a couple of years by somehting more powerful.
Fair enough.

Sponsored Links
I know you don't want to but is really is essential to discuss it with the electrician on site.

It is not that I do not want. This is a first enquiry in order to have an idea before asking an electrician to come and have a look. At this stage, it is about to check the sort of appliances I want (their location, characteristics (watts), etc). I would like to be more prepared before meeting the person, so that my questions are more specific and up to the point.
Tanks for the suggestion though.

At this stage, it is about to check the sort of appliances I want (their location, characteristics (watts), etc).
How can we tell you what appliances you want, and where you want them?

It's your kitchen, your layout, your needs.

As long as you stick to domestic appliances, you can have what you want where you want - the electrical aspects will not be a constraint. *

[EDIT]* Unless you want something daft, like switches hidden at the backs of cupboards etc [/EDIT].

You should plan the position of appliances and accessories so that they are where you want them to be.
Then the cabling and circuits can be installed appropriately with regard to the regulations.

An on-site inspection is the only way to determine this.

To me, opening walls and floors to move cables and sockets would be a major constraint. This is why I try to imagine a layout that is satifactory in terms of functionality and look and at the same time, that does not involve too much disruption in the current electrical installation. This is why I was raising my questions, to identify what is reasonable for me and my wallet from what is not. By experience, I have noticed that trademen do not like to come ten times to discuss things with someone who is completely clueless.

But I now realise that having an electrician to look at my kitchen is the best start.

I am planning a new kitchen. I am making a list of what sockets/switches I have,
That will probably be a waste of time, since you are getting a NEW kitchen - i.e. not the same as the existing one.
If the entire kitchen is being replaced, it will be far easier and therefore cheaper to forget about whatever is there and just put new wiring in.
This also means you get all new wiring in your new kitchen, which avoids the likely situation of a lovely new kitchen costing £1000s with 35 year old inadequate wiring in it.

The idea is to make sure the electrician comes only once at the right time.
Not possible.
They will have to visit at least twice.
The first time to install cables and other fixtures.
The second time to attach sockets, switches, test the circuits, connect appliances etc.

1. Plan kitchen as you want it. Get a printed scale plan with all of the units, appliances and everything else shown on it.
2. Give copy of plan to electrician. They will then determine what circuits etc. are required and how & where to install them.

1. Plan kitchen as you want it. Get a printed scale plan with all of the units, appliances and everything else shown on it.
2. Give copy of plan to electrician. They will then determine what circuits etc. are required and how & where to install them.
The printed plan is an excellent idea. Thanks a lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back