Planning ahead - electric socket and charging point outside house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're undergoing some major renovation work and rewiring the whole thing.
I'm thinking it might be an opportunity to have an external socket at the front together with some sort of charging point for a future electric car.

What sort of cable should I be needing to buy or research so I can ascertain cost etc?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
But before my drive is paved, front door is installed, consumer unit fitted/wiring done and house wall is rendered, is there anything I can do to minimise disruption to the finished house. Even if it's just having some cable laid now so nothing is dug up later?

Sponsored Links
It will depend a bit on which charging mode(s) you need.

We we assume the largest domestic, carge mode 3 (fast charge)then that requires 32A at the charge point.
You do not say how far the run of cable would be, I guess only a few metres? Suggest you run a length of 6mm² SWA (armoured) 3 core cable from the charge point location to the consumer unit. That would cover all the bases.

EDIT or
Lay some ducting with a draw rope in it, then whoever fits the charger can just pull the correct cable in.

The new location of the consumer unit will be a direct line of about 5m away from a potential charge point but of going above the ceiling and down again maybe a total of 10m?

If the cable is not terminated into the consumer unit I guess it's still good practice to terminate it into a socket of some sort on the other end?

I think the ducting is a bit more messy, I'd rather just run the cable now. How much would 15m of armoured 6mm cable cost approx!

Do not terminate either end. Doing that may limit the installer's options when he comes to do the job.
You can get lengths of SWA at any decent electrical wholesaler.
Here's a typical price https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SW6slash3.html

Pick it up from TLC (other suppliers are available, but they do sponsor this forum). Shipping on this stuff is expensive.

Would it be this same type of cable I'd need if I wanted to connect to a secondary consumer unit in a large outbuilding in the bottom of my rear garden to then connect more standard sockets and garden lights etc?

Yes, it is suitable for cabling externally to the main house, which is what you would want for both an outbuilding, and for your car charge point.

Ok so I could, just to future proof it, use one of these 6mm cables (takes up to 8kw the guy said from TLC) and then have one end taken to the consumer unit area but not connected and the other end to a junction box screwed to a wall like this one below?
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK308G.html

As long as its the higher capacity cable i.e. 6mm and I wont need more than 8kw, then all should be good right? The end connections, splitters etc can be done later?

BTW - what does SWA stand for?

the other end to a junction box screwed to a wall like this one below?
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK308G.html
Why do you feel it necesary to terminate this cable?
Do you know how to do it? Have you ever tried to terminate SWA?
You need a specific gland to do it properly and, if you use the Wiska box, a special earth clamp bar to properly terminate the armour sheath.

As I mentioned above (#8) my advice is to not terminate it at all. The installer will probably want to take the SWA directly into the charge point itself.
If you terminate the cable in the wrong place, or make the run too short then the installer has fewer options. My advice: run the cable and leave it for the expert to connect.

SWA often comes with the end covered in some sort of shroud. Just leave that on to keep the rain out.

Or tape a plastic bag over the end - that's all that's needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back