Cable for electric car charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I don't have an electric car and at current prices it'll be a while before they trickle down to my price bracket.

What I do have though is a suspended timber floor that I'm about to seal up after lying insulation between the rafters and placing a VCL before I screw down 22m t&g chipboard.

I intend to glue the tongues and grooves which will make lifting the boards tricky in the future.

I thought it would be prudent to look into laying a cable from under the stairs (where there CU is located) to close to the front door so that at some point it could be connected to power a charging point outside.

What sort of cable should i lay?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I intend to glue the tongues and grooves which will make lifting the boards tricky in the future.
I suggest you don’t do that. As time moves on there will always be another reason to lift the boards.

Bought a house in 1982 and had boards up to rewire, run telephone cables everywhere and fit central heating. A few years later boards up again to run burglar alarm cables. Next time it was for CAT 5 cabling everywhere. What next? My crystal ball does not know but possibly fibre optics.

Sponsored Links
How about laying duct which can be filled with whatever is the appropriate stuff at the time?

https://www.builderdepot.co.uk/cable-ducting-twin-wall-black-per-metre-50mm

I think this one comes with a draw rope already fitted but if not, use a hoover to suck through a length of Poundland rope before fitting.

Otherwise either EV ultra or (my choice) 3 core 6mm2 SWA and Cat 6 ethernet which would be cheaper and effectively the same thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back