Planning approval condition for external appearance - help with rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My semi-detached house is rendered in old grey pebbledash which is in poor condition. As I am extending the house, I was hoping to redo the existing house render and new extension in an offwhite semi-smooth render such as K-render (and grey anthracite upvc windows)

I have just been granted planning approval but noted a condition mentioned about external appearance (mentioned below with red heading).

Is this a standard condition councils always put in? Is there any way to interpret it such that I can go ahead with my plans?

My house is in a close of 12 houses and 2 other houses have painted over their grey render in white. Another house has part replaced the pebbledash with smooth render. These were likely done several years back - but does it give me a case do mine the way I want? The new render is probably better insulating - not sure if council will buy that argument?

My attached neighbour still has the old grey pebbledash.

Planning Condition
The materials to be used in the construction of the external surfaces of the extension hereby permitted shall match those used in the existing building. REASON: To safeguard the character and appearance of the area in accordance with Core Policy CS1.B of the Harrow Core Strategy (2012) and Policy DM1 of the Harrow Development Management Policies Local Plan (2013)

Extract of quoted policies below

Core Policy CS1.B / Policy DM1
- Proposals that would harm the character of suburban areas and garden development will be resisted.
- Proposals that are detrimental to local character and appearance, will be resisted.
- All development shall respond positively to the local and the historic context and reinforce the positive attributes of local distinctiveness whilst promoting innovative design and/or enhancing areas of poor design
- Extensions should respect their host building.
- The assessment of the design and layout of proposals will have regard to the appearance of proposed buildings, including but not limited to detailing, roof form, materials and colour, entrances, windows within the context provided by neighbouring buildings and the local character and pattern of development;

Sponsored Links
Existing means existing as at the date of consent. You will have to vary the condition.

Blup

You can’t change the render on the existing house and then argue you’re matching the existing render. I thought you had a cunning plan.

No other way I can see other than vary the condition.

Blup

Sponsored Links
In practice, would the council do anything about it?
You can re-render or paint the existing walls without p.p., so what difference would it make of the whole lot was done in one go?

You can’t change the render on the existing house and then argue you’re matching the existing render.
Of course the OP can.

The idea is that the extension matches the house, so whatever the house is - in the OPs case, the re render, he just needs to render the extension to match.

In practice, would the council do anything about it?
You can re-render or paint the existing walls without p.p., so what difference would it make of the whole lot was done in one go?

It's difficult to say, but there are insulation requirements associated with the building regs that the OP should be aware of.

Thanks both. The existing render is practically useless with large patches worn off. We will have to replace it anyway. I guess there is no each way we can match the new render to the original one anyway. It will be an approximation at best so hoping we get away with replacing the original render with an insulated slightly rough finished (roughcast?) render and match the same for the new extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back