Planning consent but no building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I need some advice. The house I own has had 3 extensions over the years, they are all part of a single story extension.

Build 1 1974 4.9m x 3.0m flat room extension with rsj installed. Planing and regs comply

Build 2 1992 ish, wall removed planning and regs comply

Build 3 2007 build 1 extended by 450mm flat roof removed and mono roof installed. Planning ok but no building regs,

We only found our when we tried to exchange contracts to move last week. BC have been round to Regularise the building on this they have found that the whole extension sits on a shared sewer with my neighbour. Man hole in alley but pipe goes under the extension.

My question is what do I need to do. The sewer pipe was ours until 2011. Southern water said all work was completed before 2011. Looks like the footing of one wall is 200mm above the pipe. Do I need to remove this footing or leave it. It’s been like it for 10 years. Also ground is solid chalk.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi woody, but building control are asking for me to dig out a hole so they an see it.

Will they make me change it.

They most likely want to check that the foundation is not pressing on the drain - ie a sufficient gap around the pipe.

If it is, they may require that to be rectified before they issue a certificate.

Sponsored Links
That would show no cracks, but wouldn't show there was the necessary clearance to keep it safe. Sods law says it could crack the following week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back