planning for garden room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are in green belt and we have had our permitted development taken away. We applied for a garden room, we did the pre-app and a design and access statement for this room which is 4mx5m and represents less than 3% of the total size of our house.
At every stage planning have said they want more and more info, all have been addressed however now they want details of our covered porch, not sure why this is relevant.
We are over 30 m from the nearest property.
I know they are trying to test our patience as they should have made a decision on the 15th May and we did not give our permission to extend this.
My question is, Surely they have to make a decision on the garden room and not raise more and more queries which are not relevant and all has been approved on the pre-app, the planning graduate has apologized that pre-app did not do there job, but this guy is going above and beyond for this simple room.
What can we do? our neighbours are Irish traveller's and they are building over the their land. a rule for one and another for us.

Sponsored Links
general comments its less than 50% off the garden as off 1947 or when built
the porch thing will be to see if a raised platform needs to be discussed

We have 4 acres of garden the garden room is at least 30m from any other building and it is only 4m x5m
As far as we know the planning officer should be assessing our application for a garden room, not look at previous work carried out, if there is an issue with anything else planning needs to write to us, as far as we are aware all is in order, they are just stalling

Sponsored Links
Sorry I don’t understand, what is ‘ free from platform’ ? why would our porch be relevant to the new planning of a garden room.
Surely each application is based on what is in front of these people

it used to say as one off the stipulations "contains no raised platform " as one off the requirements to comply, so a mention off "veranda or canopy" means they are probably checking there is no more than a step or landing rather than a raised area [platform]you can say have a seat on or stand clear off and dwell on clear off people passing this is to avoid standing and overlooking other properties

Last edited:
But I have already said we are in 4 acres that’s our garden, if I stood on cherry picker I would see some houses about 30m away in all directions.
My question was I want them to look at exiting planning I have applied for. I don’t think they can start bring other matters into the equation
When someone puts planning in for extension, does that mean the planning officer looks back at every alteration to that property, or does he look at the application on his desk in front of him and make a decision on that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back