Planning Objections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of questions about submitting objections:

First, can one submit more than one (as an individual)?
Reason being the deadline is soon and better to get 1 or 2 in quick and submit others if possible later.
Or might it actually be better (if allowed) to submit each one separately, focussing on a single ground for objection rather than combining them all into one submission?
Or does it really make no difference?

Secondly, are security factors relevant grounds?
Context is a change of use from 'sui generis' petrol filling station to D1 Place of Worship.
Other similar places of worship have protective fences, barbed/razor wire, security personnel in high Vis jackets or plain clothes during times of use, all suggesting significant security issues not just for the building but the surrounding locality.

How would one best object on these grounds?

Sponsored Links
Security is a planning consideration, especially where you can have large congregations of people or the proposed development is in a high crime area - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/design#crime-prevention and https://www.gov.uk/guidance/design#security-measures

Have you checked the responses so far online? Normally a 'Crime Prevention Design Adviser' would be consulted and asked to provide a response.

If you can't find their response yet, I would find out who your local crime planning adviser is and speak to them. They will be in a better position to object, if necessary, and add weight to refusal.

Or does it really make no difference?
One thousand objections from one person, or one thousand objections from one thousand people. What do you think would carry more weight?

A. One is one objection, the other is one thousand objections.

Petrol Station to Place of Worship? Will Jeremy Clarkson be conducting the service?

Sponsored Links
We had a major development next door to ours which would have made our detached Victorian look like a semi, as well as a host of other issues.

Each resident can put their own objection through.

I spent the 6 months doing research into the policies of the local authorities development plans (found online) and built a strong case against the development. To our surprise, the planning officer approved the development.

It was only because I had contacted our local Councillors, they intervened and ensured it would go to the planning committee if the planning officer approved the development... We went to the councils planning committee meeting and done our speech... the committee were horrified by the plans and threw it out of the chambers... we went home crying with happiness...

A simple email to our local councillors was all we needed... if it goes to committee, play on their emotions.. they are only humans and barely understand planning laws...

The applicant could still appeal against the refusal decision of course. I think councillors on planning committees ,certainly in our area, are now more aware that applicants can appeal against a planning decision and costs can be awarded against the local authority if the decision is overturned by the planning inspector.

Costs can only be awarded if one side has behaved unreasonably and in the vast majority of appeals, costs aren't awarded.

I've seen some truly shocking delegated reports by officers in the past where there were clearly policy reasons to reject an application, but they concoct some nonsense to overcome this.

Costs can only be awarded if one side has behaved unreasonably and in the vast majority of appeals, costs aren't awarded.

I've seen some truly shocking delegated reports by officers in the past where there were clearly policy reasons to reject an application, but they concoct some nonsense to overcome this.
I'm pretty certain the planning officer was being paid by this clearly wealthy Russian business developer...

The applicant could still appeal against the refusal decision of course. I think councillors on planning committees ,certainly in our area, are now more aware that applicants can appeal against a planning decision and costs can be awarded against the local authority if the decision is overturned by the planning inspector.

I was told by a fairly knowledgeable source that Councillors on the Planning Committee will often vote against an unpopular application purely on political grounds so they can be seen to be supporting the view of their voters knowing full well the application will be approved on appeal. Then at election time they can wring their hands and say they did everything they could but the nasty planning inspector let it through.

As others have said awarding costs is not that common and even if they are it never comes out of the Councillor's own pockets.

I've won many appeals.
Does that mean you have had a lot of planning refusals or were you dealing with appeals on others' refusals ? I can't understand how a lot of people seem to regard planning appeals as the norm which isn't the case in my experience.

Does it matter? Appeals are the exception, not the norm, but there's value (whether by luck or flaw) in being able to win them more often than not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back