planning permission - cheekyneighbour has erected a chimney.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Just wanted to sound you guys out before I call whoever.

My neighbour has built a chimney which comes out of a single story conservatory type building. The chimney is around 6 ft tall and about 10ft away from my back garden.

It has now had it's inaugural lighting and all I can smell is wafts of smoke.
I have a woodburner and can recognise the smell, he obviously has the same.

I did take a picture or two whilst he was building it [2 months ago] although it wasn't apparent what was being built at first, due to work I didn't really keep track on what he was doing, and it's partly obscured by a tree.

Needless to say the cheeky bugger hasn't been round to say that's what he was going to do, and I've had nothing from the planning office.

As it's now been used a few times I can't really have my back door open or washing out.

Have I left it too late to speak to the council?
PS this isn't a council house.

Any advice appreciated.

Wilse

Sponsored Links
Err, have a read here, regarding Planning I think you may be stuffed. :(
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115316471057.html

There may have been a building regs contravention if it does not comply though so that may be an angle. Someone with a good grasp of the regs for chimneys (unlike me :oops: ) will be able to answer that, if nobody does, either re-post in the plumbing section or contact your local Building Control at the council. They should be able to tell you quick as a flash.

The alternative contact at the council would be the environment health section, as it may be causing a statutory nuisance in respect of the flue gasses/smoke

But it depends on whether it is really affecting your use of your property, rather than that you just don't like it

Sponsored Links
in your picture it looks like the chimney is on top of the outbuilding, then has a tall pot on top, it looks nearly as high as the house.

It doesn't look unreasonable.

You say you have a woodburner too, so you aren't in a smokeless zone - are you?

JohnD & others

Thanks for your reply, the chimney is about half as high as a normal house... if that...
I will be calling the planning office tomorrow, as I couldn't open the back door today... as all you can smell is burning wood! No washing can be put out either!

w

I think it's unfair of you to complain if you have a wood burner too.. he's had to put up with yours for longer than you've had to put up with his..

did you go round and cosult with him before you installed YOUR wood burner?

if your neighbourhood is not a smoke free zone then he is within his rights to go out and light a bonfire every night if he so wishes.. . as are you..

with the amount of people now fitting wood burners there will soon be a wood shortage so i would not worry about it :LOL:

I think it's unfair of you to complain if you have a wood burner too.. he's had to put up with yours for longer than you've had to put up with his..

if your neighbourhood is not a smoke free zone then he is within his rights to go out and light a bonfire every night if he so wishes.. . as are you..

Unfair... when my flue is some 35 feet from the ground... his is about 11ft??
It's not the burner I'm objecting to... but the flue arrangement, as IMO it's too low.

w

Unfair... when my flue is some 35 feet from the ground... his is about 11ft??
It's not the burner I'm objecting to... but the flue arrangement, as IMO it's too low.

w
Don't worry, ColJack likes to have his say! (as do I sometimes! :) ) Did you talk to the council?

Hi there

Spoke to the council... basically they have said it tough! :(

I'm going to talk the environmental health next, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm a little disappointed and can't believe how the rules for chimneys & flues are as relaxed as they are... anyway thanks all for your help/advice.

w

given that you can have a bonfire outside every night with not a chimney in site, then you can't really complain..

just start a fire every time he put his washing out... then when he complains voice your concerns about the chimney to him..

Isn't there some sort of rule of stack / pot height v windows ?

His own window looks to be less than a few feet from the pot and surely there's a good chance of bad gases on a still day entering his own property ?

Would a cowl not be required to prevent water and down draft ? Would a spinning one help move the fumes quicker ?

Here' some useful stuff, that may help with your research:-

Approved Document J of the Building Regulations. Copies can be obtained from HMSO. Advice is also available from Local Authority Building Control Departments.

British Standards. Copies of British Standards can be obtained from British Standards Institution, 389 Chiswick High Road, Chiswick, London W4 4AL. Tel: 0181 996 9000.

BS 4543 - Specification for factory made chimneys.

BS6461 Installation of chimneys and flues for domestic appliances burning solid fuel (including wood and peat). Part 1 - Code of practice for masonry chimneys and flue pipes.

BS8303- Installation of domestic heating and cooking appliances burning solid fuel mineral fuels.

USEFUL CONTACTS

HETAS- Heating Equipment of Solid Fuel Products and Services. P0 Box 37, Bishops Cleeve,Glos GL5 24TE. They publish annually The official guide to approved solid fuel products and services, which has a comprehensive list of factory made chimney systems and flues from members of the BFCMA.

NACS - National Association of Chimney Sweeps, St. Mary’s Chambers, 19, Station Road, Stoke on Trent, ST15 8JP Tel: 07185 -81 1732. They can provide a list of their members throughout Britain.

NFA - National Fireplace Association, 8th Floor, Bridge House, Smallbrook, Queensway, Birmingham B5 4JP, Tel:0121-643 1133. They publish a series of guides on fireplaces and associated work including chimneys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back