Planning permission for a double garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for any info possible. I have e-mailed PAS building active citizenship but yet to get a responce.
I have had my house on the market for 18 months now with no luck selling it.
I have an end attached house in the city centre of Aberdeen that has a garden out the back and at the end of the garden there is my double garage. I am wanting to apply for planning permission to convert the garage into a flat. I don't, however propose to converting it myself, I was just hoping to get planning permission so it would make the house more attractive for certain buyers and potentially add value to the existing house. Has anyone done this before or heard of it being done before or is it unreasonable to think that I may be granted planning permission?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's a common thing. Any land or property that has planning permission to do something or other with it, becomes more attractive to a buyer and so more valuable.

I can't understand how in this day you are having trouble selling. Is the asking price too high? Because if so, you will be in the same situation even with any permission on the garage.

Oil price has came down hence so have the house prices in abz. Why would having planning permission to build another flat/house not add value to the house?

Estate agents generally agree that while pp might make a property more attractive, this doesn't translate (much) to an increase in value - probably only marginally above the cost of the consent.

Sponsored Links
So it would be more worth while splitin he deeds then and selling it as a plot separately from the house?

I'm naive enough to think that there might be merit in speaking to some local agents

Don't forget that in the centre of Aberdeen a double garage could be valuable as secure parking, you could possibly hive it off and sell as is. I suggest you talk to your estate agent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back