Planning permission for front fence??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This morning we had a man from the planning department out to look at our front fence as a neighbour had complained about it.
Actually, the neighbour complained that we had a jolly Roger flag up for the kids for 2 days but when the inspector came to look the flag wasn't up so he closed the case. Apparently the neighbour then said "well what about the fence?"
We haven't had any fallings out with the neighbours and the fence has been up for 2 years now with no complaints. We have had no cross words with anyone so I just can't see who would have been so bitter and nasty.
The fence is the same height as 4 others on the street and there's at least another 6 that are slightly lower, but still higher than 1m rule. All but mine and another neighbours have been there less than 4 years.
When inspector got there he discussed compromising and reducing to 1.4m. I said no point as obviously someone has an issue with us and could then still complain and we have spent the money and time for nothing.
Another issue when he got there was that attached to the fence, running down our driveway we have a bin storage area built, and a small shed the same size to store camping gear etc. It's all the same height. It's tidy and neat and the inspector said he hadn't even noticed it when he did a drive by. He did say however it would be hard to lower the fence without the structure then becoming an issue.
Reading some other posts the advice has been not to apply for retrospective planning permission. What happens if we just ignore them? I'd rather string it out for as long as possible without making any adjustments.
I'm hoping karma strike, the neighbour dies and the case can be closed!

Sponsored Links
Just wait and see what they send you in writing and then decide from there, not worth worrying about until then

They did send me the official letter saying it had been brought to their attention etc etc and if we wanted to attempt to regularise it we could apply for retrospective planning permission, hence why we contacted the man to come out and look at it. He said he will talk to the planners to see what can be done.
I'm just now thinking we would be best to drag it out and do as little as possible for as long as possible and hope they go away.

do nothing and wait for enforcement. I doubt it will get that far. Suggest to any neighbours you think are involved that if it has to come down, you will replace it with 6m bamboo. Authorities have no powers over grasses!

Sponsored Links
It's highly unlikely the LA will enforce because it's not in their interests and not a reasonable use of public funds, but you should bear in mind that The LA may leave a letter on the system. This means that you can do nothing for now, with little or no risk, but it will become an issue if you try to sell the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back