Planning permission for multiple changes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can I just check a few points on planning application procedure please...

I am thinking of putting in one planning application to do all of the following:
- Change a small flat roof to pitched
- Render some areas of brickwork to cover up mismatched bricks from earlier extension
- board and render detached prefab concerte garage

I assume that by combining the three things I am risking one item being objected to causing the whole application to be rejected?

If so I guess they would tell me what they don’t like and I would have to pay again for a revised application?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hello

In my experience, submitting planning applications/ drawings the local planning authorities, at least the ones I’ve dealt with will usually ask me to change an undesirable aspect of a proposal rather than just refuse it all without telling me.

Then I’ll just change that aspect if I can, if the client agrees, and you get the approval.

You can get something like a partial approval, whereby they approve one aspect but not the other, but these are rarely done.

If they do refuse an application, you get a free go. However, this is dependent on the new application not being substantially different to the one that was previously refused. I.e submitting a application for a two storey extension when the original refusal was for a single story extension.

Good point,

I believe the re-roofing would fall under permitted development anyway. They would assess it under class A, see technical guidance PD.

Also, the rendering would be PD.

This is as long as the dwelling is not located in a special area, e.g. AONB etc, and does not have permitted development restrictions on it

Sponsored Links
the rendering would be PD

The planning portal guidance on rendering states 'cladding may be carried out without having to first apply for planning permission provided the materials are of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house.'

My house is typical brick construction, albeit 4 different types of brick due to various extensions over time. If I render the ugly bricks with a typical cement render is this considered material similar to the existing construction?

Does it matter that some parts of the house being rendered are extensions and not original?

I believe the re-roofing would fall under permitted development anyway.

The flat roof is on a single storey extension and not the original house so I don't think I can use PD rules.

If the existing house is solid wall cosntruction rather than cavity I would advise against cement render and instead suggest lime render is used.

Once/when cement render cracks any water that tracks into the wall will be trapped and solid walls will become damp and you will get mould growth.

If you use lime instead the render will still let the wall breathe out and help keep the wall dry. It will cost a little more but means you won't have to keep patching it and painting it.

Likewise if a solid wall don't use modern vinyl paints (same problems), use lime paint.

Cement/Vinyl on solid walls only works short term and create all sorts of long term problems and huge amounts of maintenance.

You do not need to apply for planning permission for ‘minor’ improvements such as painting your house, I believe rendering falls within that category and therefore does not require planning permission.

From my experience, as long as the house is not listed or in a conservation area, the planners won’t be too bothered about you rendering, it’s really a minor thing in the grand scheme of things. It’s not like you’re trying to build a house in the back garden.

With regard to potential enforcement action, the Planning Authority will not take any enforcement action against a potential breach of permitted development which would otherwise be granted if permission was sought. Like I said, permission would almost always be granted for the rendering of a house as long as it’s not in a sensitive area or listed, and therefore an authority would not take enforcement action in the first instance (same could probably be applied to converting the flat roof to a pitched roof as long as it’s not on the street scene).

In my opinion, you’re fairly safe rendering the house, original parts and not, without planning permission.

With regard to the flat roof on the extension, it depends if the extension was an original feature when the house was built or whether it was built on later. That being said, PD restrictions only apply to the total thing built. So for example if you were to build a single-storey extension at 2 m in length, you could still add another metre onto that extension to hit the 3 m limit (on a semi detached). I believe you could do the same with a flat roof, in that you could still turn it into a pitched roof as long as it abided to the permitted development criteria, even though it was not on the original building.

The best way to proceed would probably be to get a certificate of lawful development, you would need this information if you were to sell the house at a later date anyway, so it may just be worth getting it now. If the planners decided that the development was not permitted development and did require full planning permission, they would simply contact you and ask to turn the PD application into a full householder application and ask for the extra fee.

Hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back