Planning permission for shop signs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I came across the attached notice on the historical planning application for a shop. I was curious to know whether it was normal for councils to impose conditions that shops renew their signage after 5-years or have it taken down.

Also how can I get a better understanding of the rules pertaining to what can be displayed in a shop window e.g. LCD screen for a healthcare practice advertising their business etc. Are there national guidelines as to how bright signage can be etc or is this all locally handled?

2020-11-16 advertising.JPG

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I took a read of that but did not fully understand it. What are we saying in layman terms about the highlighted text?

In layman's terms, we're saying that the LPA may include conditions requiring the removal of an advertisement at the end of a specified period. To understand whether this is 'normal', we would have to see whether the LPA had acted similarly for other recent applications in the same locality. Adverts are often time-sensitive, so it makes sense that the Council might ask for their removal once they've served their usefulness, but that doesn't make it 'normal' to impose such a condition; and it's unlikely to be a blanket condition attached to all advertisement consents within your District Council's purview - but you can establish the veracity of that statement better than I can.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It’s quite a standard condition for shop signs/advertisements. Either remove the advert or re-apply after a period of five years. There is advice and guidance on what is permitted either nationally or locally.

When we say advert, are we making a distinction between a shop sign that goes across the top width of a shop eg ABC Opticians or Smith’s confectionery compared with an actual advertising sign promoting the services of the business?
The image above was pasted from a planning application for a shop sign in 2018. It would seem bizarre to have to reapply after five years to renew your shop sign.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back