Planning Permission - Garden structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any experience of applying for planning permission for a children’s playhouse?

Following on from a previous topic, I was provided with this link...

https://www.theplayhousecompany.co.uk/planning-guidance

This link, and another which I found ...

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

There is a requirement for planning permission when there is a veranda or platform over 30mm off the ground. This 'off the shelf' play center below clearly falls in to this category. There is however, no mention of planning 'may' be required for the erection of this in a garden.

IMG_3731.JPG

I was looking at building something much more substantial, as per image below - but this would also have a veranda and also the raised platform/bridge.

IMG_3683.PNG

Given that planning is £206 to apply for, that is a serious amount of money to me.

Anyone know any better or confirm for certain what I have found?

I know I can speak to neighbours to see if they would object etc, and the height/eaves fall within the permitted measurements, and it would be at least 1m from any land boundary - I can understand it for extensions etc, but does the 30mm restriction really apply to play centres? it really does seem ardourous.

Sponsored Links
Planning would technically be needed. It is still an outbuilding, and if you took the building bit away there are still rules about decking. Whether it would be enforced is another matter. Your call if you want to risk it, I think I would unless I had particularly grumpy neighbours.

All designs shown would require P.P. because of the verandah. In particular, it falls foul of the condition in E 1 (h);

[not permitted development if]..."it would include the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform"

These things can often be an issue because they can draw half the young kids in the neighbourhood to the garden, to the annoyance of adjoining owners, particularly in the summer.

Sponsored Links
I think in reality I would build it, and seek retroactive PP if it because an issue. Surely most people would do the same, pragmatically?

No idea if it affects PP (anyone?) but is/could this be classed as temporary/portable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back